Sonic Electronix

3 Alpine subs, impreza hatchback, build help

Hi guy's just curious to get some opinions / helpful information regarding a concept I'm planning to build in the near future for a custom box setup for a subaru Impreza hatchback... Space is fairly limited and all subs will be inverted to sealed boxes due it being a hatch. 2 subs will be inverted on the sides vertical and 1 in the middle horizontal.

Ok so here it is, I plan to run these subs listed below off of a Alpine MRX M110, 1100 RMS mono amp as it's what I'm currently using to power one type-r 12", has no problems powering it all!.. These subs are rated at about 2ohm loads.

x2 Alpine Type-S 12" 500W RMS

x1 Alpine Type-R 12" 1000w RMS

I'm just wondering if my amp will be able to power all these with a decent RMS rating of 400-500'ish per sub if the amp will be around 1.5-2 ohm for this build.

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

As your concept is not bad there is many issues with what you want to do.

#1 you do not mix sub types. Yes both are alpine a but they have different rms and will cause it to sound like crap. Also the box specs between the 2 may be different.

#2 ohm load. I see the type s is a d4 sub with just those 2 you can run eather at 4ohms or 1 ohm. Then you have to add in the 3rd sub wich could e duel 2 or duel 4 with doing that you will be under what alpine states is a safe ohm to run the amp at and run the risk of blowing your system or you will be running at a higher ohm where it will not get the rms.

#3 box size. With 3 subs even tho in a sealed box you need to have it correct. Just because it will fit in your car does not mean the subs will like being in the box and may sound like compleat shit.

Also with inverting subs you may have to adjust the phasing of them so they fire correct but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Not trying to be a dick or sound like one but it's a overall bad idea to run the subs the way you where thinking. I would suggest just run the 2 type s's or the 1 type r off that amp at a 2 ohm load and build a nice box. With the 1 type r you should be able to build a nice ported. You may be able to do do it with the type s's also but I'm not sure.

Or what you can do to save some money is run eather setup at 1ohm and get a 1000-1200w amp stable at 1ohm. Will be cheaper then the alpine amp

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Thanks for the feedback..

The current setup is just the 1 Type-R off that amp listed and sounds great in a slot ported box...

I was kind of hoping to go for a unique custom show-pony look. But yeah, no idea's are quite solid yet, just getting some pro's / con's on all aspects before I go jumping into building it.

don't mix subs. It sounds like you're going with a wild idea, one that is not seen on here often because it won't sound very good. With different power and subs, your subs might be fighting each other.

keep it simple and you will have less issues

if you want to go for show then do it right, otherwise you will get other audio people chuckling at the mismatched subs

If it sounds great as it is don't change it. You can add some fiberglass and make it look better and it will look more like a show pony and keep the same sound.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived