Second Skin Audio

Box rebuild/modifications for sdc2.5 15's

Chance_P

Hey guys. I have decided to rebuild my box for a couple of reasons. First off I am sending about 900w to each of these woofers, and with my current box they would bottom out sometimes. My current box was a Joe X designed, thanks again Joe, box. 8^3 after displacement at 34.5hz 126sq in of port. I like this box, but it was a sub up/port up box. 42w/25d/22h. The box slammed pretty good but after some experimentation I found that turning it on its side and facing the sub and port to the rear really woke things up. So now the box is sitting 6 inches higher than my window line and is quite annoying. I added some 2x8's to lower the volume to 7.5^3 and raise the tuning to 36hz. That also gave me some gains on the ear-o-meter. I also want to be able to enter Advanced no wall class as I stand a better chance of squeaking out a 3rd place trophy, lol. I hit a 143.7 on music at 46hz on the windshield on Saturday. So basically here are my goals...

Max dimensions 42w/25d/19h. I actually already cut the box down to 18.25h today so it's currently at my max dimensions. (no top on it yet)

Hit a 145 on music.

Haven't had any issues playing down to 30hz with the way the box is currently (7.5/36hz) but I don't care to play anything lower than 36hz anyways.

I was thinking about tuning it to 40hz. Shouldn't have a problem playing down to 36hz from what I understand, which isn't much around here lol. I also haven't decided if I am going to do sub up port back, or sub/port back. I understand that sub/port back loads off of the rear hatch and sends the sound forward. I've read a ton of threads comparing the two orientations. The only thing I do not understand is what happens to those sound waves coming from the front of the woofers when they are facing up (port back mind you)? When I had up/up orientation with the original box I was getting a ton of roof flex but like I said it was much quieter. Most likely will just go with back/back as I have had good results with it thus far and I see no possible way I would gain anything back going sub up/port back. By the way my vehicle is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

I am thinking about going with back/back, port centered between subs, 17.5x7.75 port (135sq in, 18 per cube) 19 inches long. Volume after .3 woofer displacement is 7.5 and tuning is 39.03hz. Anyone see any problems in doing this?

Thanks for reading my rather long post guys. Looking forward to any input you have to offer.

Archived