Sonic Electronix

kk fellow smd people those that know about the w713 please chime in.

kk so a few weeks ago i got my self a jlw713 for 40 bucks sweet deal right? just needed a surround and the dustcap was cracked.

so me being how i am i scooped it up. found a new surround and go a carbon fiber dustcap and painted the cone white.

28w33ep.jpg

looks sexy right?

so i followed the vid on youtube of how to glue the surround- prolly shoulda went with my opinion cut the jl inner dustcap off and shimmed it but i didnt :( .

so after the glue was set i went to free air it and there was coil rub. so now im like FUCK!! cause i mean what can i do only option is to cut and re glue the surround right? so i did just that. then there was no coil rub free aired fine. but after the glue cured there was the coil rub again. sept this time there was catastrophic failure. i didnt put the compresion ring on just the first ring and well during free air shit explouded the coil bottomed out unwound and broke from the cone at all of the coil vent holes clear across. so after talking to psi initially they said it would be 190 plus id have to ship it twice so. thats not terrible being what it is but then im told they cant garentee it because i dont have the stock surround.

so to come to the conclusion of my story im planning on getting a coil and spider from them. my questions are as follows.

if i shim the new coil when i re glue the cone to it will that fix the small amount my surround job was off?

if not should i cut the surround off and try again" how would i align a cone,surround and coil being how the jls surround is on?"

or should i get a new surround all together and then that brings in the above " " question.

sorry in advanced for bad gramer and spelling

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Archived