Q Factor and Center Frequency Help

iTac91

I just installed my new HU and replaced all my OEM speakers. My HU is the Kenwood dpx500bt. I really like it, i've just never messed with some of the audio settings this comes with. Specifically the center frequency and Q factor. After some research i have a good idea of how it all affects the music. Im just not sure on what to set it all on. My equipment and setting values are as follows:

Two Hertz DT 24.3

Four Hertz DCX 570.3

(no amp yet, but coming soon)

Two JL 10w0's in a sealed enclosure

JL JX500/1D for the subs

The settings on the HU can be found http://manual.kenwood.com/ce/im369/NorthAmerica/English(en)/IM369_13-2DIN_K_r1-11.html here.

Im looking for a "smooth" sound and i listen to all music. Three main ones are Rock (hard and harder :rockwoot:) , Rap, and Electric.

Any and all input is valuable

The higher the "q" the narrower the band of frequencies effected. Basically it like higher q is a higher slope.

Say you put center at 1k and q at 1.25 then the frequenceies above and below will be effected less than a q of .5.

So if you cut 1k by 3db the say at .5. q down to 600 and up to 1200 get slightly cut too but not as much. With q of 1.25 then maybe only 950 And 1050 get cut.

My numbers aren't exact but there is info out there about how q works. Just have to Google it.

What's a good setting for the center frequency. I have my bass at 100 and the q and 1.5. Mid is at 1k with a q of 1 and my treble is at 10k. No q available for treble.

I found a Q calculator and dove into it a little more. This is what i came up with

Bass: 100 Hz at 1.25 Q gives me a band of 67.7 to 147.7

Mids: 1k Hz at .75 Q gives me 535.2 to 1868.5

Treble: 10K Hz

Archived