Sundown Audio

02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Amplifier Replacement

Damian Anthony Lohrenz

The 02 Dodge Ram runs with infinity sound. I know where the amplifier is on this truck. But someone has asked me a couple of questions and I told her I would gladly do it. But I have a couple of questions.

First off, She wants to buy a used amplifier that works for her truck. Her went out on her (So the mechanic said) and these used Infinity amplifiers for this 02 Dodge Ram do not go cheap. Their ridiculously high priced. Could I just completely get rid of that amplifier, and switch it out with lets say a smaller amplifier that does the same thing but gives out better performance? (If you have suggestions on a amplifier, post below)

The Mechanic is charging her 100$ for the install. (Which is kind of insane for such a simple thing) Plus the 120-170 for a used amplifier. If I where to switch it out with a Boss Audio R1100M Mosfet Power Amplifier. (I should be able to switch it out with just a regular amplifier, right?) Would that amplifier work? I see no reason on why it shouldn't work. Just want to see what you guys think.

Im a learning person in this kind of stuff. Any suggestions would be awesome! I will be going to school at Acoustic Edge institute in Houston Texas in a few years.

I read somewhere that they are monoblocks. The ones the factory puts in. Yes they are 4 channel, and they have a weird wire connection to them unlike regular amplifiers. So do you think I should suggest to her to buy a small amplifier rated 200-400 RMS. I believe the infinity amps are rated 50-100 rms. Give or take. Maybe up to 250. Or should I just tell her to buy a used infinity amplifier like the one she currently has to work?

Archived