89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

Sorry I haven't posted the pasts few days, I deleted my wireless software like a total dumbass, had to find a cord and manually re-install the software.

The system is in! And it's time for the rest of the updates! Also, uploading a lil flex vid as I type... :popcorn:

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Picture time. Didn't take as many pics this time around, not too much to see.

Little sanding to find the high spots, it's my first time painting an enclosure, so I have no clue what I'm doing, just going with whatever idea comes to mind.

IMG_0001_zps777c90f4.jpg

IMG_0002_zps3e4e3a35.jpg

'nother coat

IMG_0003_zps03884ad8.jpg

Some industrial plastic from some conveyor belt machine, just my luck, high abrasive resistance, doesn't sand worth a flip, but it's very tough stuff.

And just the right width and depth, too.

IMG_0004_zpsedaddf8f.jpg

Totally custom machinist 2,000,000$ setup. And a huge mess too.

IMG_0007_zps043f2f6b.jpg

It cuts good, but it's like trying to sand with a blank of metal, it just doesn't abrade.

IMG_0006_zps6057dbd0.jpg

Top counter-sunk

IMG_0011_zps8299437e.jpg

And bottom.

IMG_0010_zps14d22777.jpg

That machine screw fits in the counter sink perfectly. :lildevil:

IMG_0012_zpsab67d1c5.jpg

Final assembly, not the prettiest, but lots of contact.

IMG_0017_zpsa0ea9bcf.jpg

Installed.

IMG_0018_zps5bc98614.jpg

Gonna go ahead and start another post, just a few... :popcorn:

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

This is the painful part, where a perfectly good interior is a bit butchered, but I managed to keep the original covers over the new speakers, so the scars are hidden.

So, I gotta fit that HD in the space of the... thingy, I feel wrong calling it a speaker. The 'cone' was so soft it fell apart when you touched it. Kinda creepy how soft it was.

IMG_0021_zps8cb6aaba.jpg

Glad it's gone. I've never heard of a 9.5 ohm ...thingy..., I know in home audio 8 ohm is common, but this seems really weird.

IMG_0022_zpsc410a30b.jpg

Makin sure there's enough wire to reach 'em both. there was plenty.

IMG_0024_zpsa4a7f1f2.jpg

Toyed around with putting them in the doors, but after looking for an opening to the door grommet, the cab side of the grommet looked like way too much trouble for a beginner like myself, so I did nothing further.

IMG_0027_zpsf03c7967.jpg

A quick and way too hopeful test fit.

IMG_0028_zps05bc1fa2.jpg

The butchery begins, cut the window blower vent tube and some insulation. Wound up removing that whole metal plate there.

IMG_0030_zpsea159721.jpg

After hours of bending and clipping and tugging and cutting and tearing, got it to fit, somehow.

IMG_0032_zpsea37a713.jpg

One side down, one left. Had to cut the other window vent tube, and the passenger tube was a little too high.

It's Texas, and the good people need the A/C, so I really didn't want to butcher the passenger side vent tube, so I grabbed the heat gun.

IMG_0036_zps5f522e3f.jpg

I know, it looks so hideous, but at least it's still largely functional, and hidden. no holes anyway.

IMG_0038_zps4ab1ca15.jpg

Of course it fits in lower, faster, and easier than the other side. At least it's in. :lildevil:

IMG_0039_zps49308666.jpg

Welcome to my office.

IMG_0033_zps19165b5b.jpg

Here's my latest build.

Finished up the little things on the box, and made totally sure to bolt these bitches down tight. went around the holes with a little spray adhesive, let it tack up, and made damned sure the the weatherstripping stuck for good, pressed it all down real good, it's a much better material for the job than the other wimpy stripping.

DSC00359_zps2f61d4a0.jpg

DSC00358_zpsa853840a.jpg

gap before snuggin it down...

DSC00361_zpsf2bc8420.jpg

after

DSC00362_zps14faad34.jpg

DSC00363_zps251590c3.jpg

Extra stripping for the bent part, also, it's the least likely to flex.

DSC00364_zps9b43445f.jpg

I just love the look of that surround! Should be solid now, no more leaks.

DSC00366_zps5f04bcd8.jpg

I'll do an update sometime soon of the whole assembly in the cab. Here's a quick video of me getting in trouble!

Here's my latest build.

lookin' good

It sounds a lot better than it looks, especially since I have everything running now. just need to get it road legal and I can visit the local shop, see what they think would be the next step for improvement. The back window flexes and rattles way too much, stuff some foam chunks in the window, helped a lot, but it still flexes a scary amount.

Check out the vid in the post above! got in trouble too.

Here's my latest build.

Just throwing this out there, if I win the lottery, I want my truck with an engine like this one! It has to be the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard, I love the low rumble as it's winding up just before he pins the throttle. Makes me grin every time.

Here's the Red Dragon, same model truck I have. Love the sound! I've added like 50 views lol!

BTW this is not my video, it is one of my favorites tho.

Here's my latest build.

Cory,

Any reason you didn't go with MDF board for your box?

Very..VERY well done write up on this project !!

Thank you! I thought to myself while reading some posts and build logs, 'I want to see the details, and how they did that.' I know I didn't capture that perfectly, but it was on my mind the whole build. You never know when some one else will spot something or get an idea. :)

I was thinking to myself, which would hold screws better? Every MDF box I've seen had horrible messes after you put a screw through it, it just crumbled, I didn't want that.

Also, Oak is more dense than MDF, I knew my box would have to be very durable for me to be happy with it. In my eyes, the 11 ply oak hardwood was just more solid than the MDF.

To Brett84, I designed the box myself to fit the cab. (Port dimensions are from the local shop) I took some card board and cut it to fit the shape behind the seat, and slid it from one side to the other just to make sure it would fit all the way across. you then take the card board and make the largest box you can that can fit inside the cardboard shape, and use a tape measure to check how long you can make the box. Once you have the outer dimensions, you build it in a free 3-d program, I used Google Sketch up.

Here's the sketch up model, with assembled box, exploded box (copy, paste, and drag 'em around) and interior volume, total volume is white, port is red.

Buildingabox_zps34ceeb9a.jpg

Once you have it built, measure everything, make absolutely sure it will fit, check it multiple times, because once you cut the boards, it's too late. Then build it to your design.

suboxpic_zpsefc551b8.jpg

A little help with the port tuning, and the program I used for my aero ports, this should help, it's not the whole package, but I made it work.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Also, JL audio has some tutorials in their support section, but that's the serious stuff, if you have no clue what you are doing, it'll just confuse you more.

Hope this all helps. Wish I had some SA equipment.

Here's my latest build.

Archived