Scion xB front stage

bushroot

I also deadened the rear decklid. That was a pain. There's not much room to slip the deadener in, let alone roll it out. Most of the rolling was done with a flat blade screwdriver. After this, I rolled up reflectix, wrapped that in foam, and stuck it between the decklid and bracing. This actually provided the most noticeable difference in resonance. I also went to wallyworld, bought a mattress pad, cut it into pieces, and stuffed it into the holes in the rear behind the fenders. I think she's pretty much dead. I wanted to use the Soundqubed deadener, but it was out of stock and I knew I'd be doing this, so I bought some stuff on Ebay. It's made in Russia, so it must be good! The package says "Made with Russian military technology". It's a little thinner, but holy shit is it sticky! I had to scrap a piece because it made contact with itself and I truly couldn't get it back apart.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not perfect, but it's not terrible for my first attempt at upholstery. I need to build some little flaps to cover the sides. I'll use velcro to hold those on so I have access to the wiring. I also need to build some little retainers for the sides to hold the tablet and the mount on the bottom which will hold the power and USB connectors.

I need to space the USB hub/spacer thingy out a little from the head unit. I had assumed that it would all slip through the hole in the dash, given the measurements, but it doesn't. There are little plastic bosses on the inside of the bezel and due to the fact that it needs to be angled into place, it doesn't fit that way. So, I'll pull it back apart tonight and put a set of standoffs on the face of the head unit and drill out the mounting holes on the hub/spacer. This will allow me to fish the thing through the opening and mount it from the outside. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with the fitment. For now, the volume assembly is just going to sit in the cubbyhole. I'll decide later how I want to finish it.

Archived