Jump to content

Door panel build, questions recommendations


Grantnewman38

Recommended Posts

Posted

I plan on doing a door panel build in my 2006 dodge ram. I have a few questions,

If I were to do two 6.5s and should I get two component speakers complete with the crossover and tweeters?

Or 2 6.5s and one super tweeter like the Rockford Fosgate tweeter punch pro 1.5" tweeter? If so what would I need?

Reall I'm looking for people who've done it before so I can ask questions... I'm looking at the RF T3 speakers.. So maybe any links to this kind of info or your 2 cents. Thanks

2006 Dodge Ram Quad cab

Alpine IDA-x305s head unit

RE 3000.1 amp

XS D1200 battery

Stinger 1/0 gauge wiring (big 3)

MB quart front door speakers

Peel N Seal on doors and back wall (poor mans dynomat)

2 Kicker CVR 12s.... for now

Custom made fiberglass box under rear seat (1 ft^3 per sub)

Posted

Be careful using multiple tweeters. You get something called "comb filtering". http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/comb-filtering

When using multiple drivers, there are ways to avoid this. It involves CTC (center to center) distance of the drivers and the frequency they will be operating at. Have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer

One option is to roll one driver off early, but that gets into some pretty interesting crossover design work. This works the other way as well. When using multiple midbass drivers, you also roll the low frequencies off in a design like a MTMMM between the top and lower midrange. You would also want to figure out baffle step correction in such a setup. http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

This is the idea behind a coaxial speaker. In theory you are trying to create something close to a single point source. See, it's really difficult for one speaker to reproduce the entire audio spectrum. http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/theory.html

I'm certainly not saying that you couldn't tune around the issues you would create with multiple high frequency drivers, but spending a little more time on the design and layout will save headaches later.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 914 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...