Hybrid Audio Technologies?

NathanW

Plan on getting a job at a place where they sell these. Heard nothing but good things other than a few people having problems with the surrounds coming detached from the basket, but I think they got that fixed.

I did consider the Dayton Reference subs, but I was wary of the aluminum cone (known issue with "tin canning" seems to be somewhat common) I even considered the Dayton Ultimax, but I wasn't sure if it would have the SQ I was looking for. So I went ahead and got the HAT C12SW-D2 and so far I'm loving it even though I currently just have it in a prefab box until I can get a nice custom box built for it.

I'm thinking about putting it in a large sealed box to get closer to IB performance from it, but it also seems to model well in a 1 cube vented tuned to 30hz (group delay around 13ms at 30hz and under 20ms at 20hz and lower at higher frequencies)

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

Yeah, I hear you on the tin canning.

I actually ran into it myself when I built my 15's. It usually happens when you put them in a sealed enclosure that is on the small side. I had to solve it by making sure the boxes were even more airtight than usual, every single crack and crevice needed to be filled. As far as I know it's a lot less of an issue in a vented enclosure as the back pressure doesn't build up nearly so much. Those aluminum cones just don't move out of the way, so if you get back pressure, it comes out of the smallest pin holes.

No matter, you went with the HAT stuff.

Large sealed to mimic infinite baffle sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure that's going to go along as well with the stated goal of 110db at 30hz. What about ported and just tune it lower (26-28hz). That's going to end up being a pretty big port to both get the tuning and keep the airspeed under 22 m/sec (probably something in the area of 4-5 inches round), but it should be really clean musically. Last thing you'd want is to wind up with port noise. You won't necessarily be pushing enough SPL to drown it out.

Of course all bets are off as soon as you put it in the cabin of a car. Cabin gain is going to make it significantly louder than it models.

Archived