Second Skin Audio

Firing Kicker L7 15 into cabin vs up into rear deck?

I have a 2006 VW Passat and I was wondering what your opinions were on positioning my sub towards the back seat vs towards the package tray. I would face it back, usually, but I have kids and need to conserve some of the space in back for carrying their related items and keeping some room for the occasional shopping trip to the local market. I have enough room to build a 3.662cf box and tune it down to 35hz if I have it facing the seat. Facing up only gives me about 3 cubes and I end up with dead space between the box and the trunk. I would also have to find a better way to attach the package tray liner to the rear deck due to rattle and tray flex. The sub wont see much use with the kids in the car, so having the seats closed wont be a problem. I have a decent ski pass through that will remain open when it is just me in the car and the amp knob is turned up. This would allow me to sound deaden the package tray, and build a box where the sub can be locked into its place by locking the back seats. ( a cool vw Passat feature) Facing up allows me to build the box so that nothing is exposed and you would have to break it to steal the subwoofer. The amp would also sit in a recess in the box. (Outta sight Outta Mind) The only negative is that I would have to do a lot more sound dampening to get rid of rattles and outright hammering type vibration. Both ways leave me with a 41x20x19 inch trunk to work with. That's two storage pockets and 9cf left in a trunk that originally had 14.2cf of space.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. Up firing is a sealed box and forward is ported.

Well ported is going to be louder than sealed. I think no matter what way you face the sub there will be some rattling. If you face the sub to the rear will there be much room for soundwaves to get over and around the box? If you face it to the rear you can always put a grill on it to keep it protected from books and backpacks. I would face it to the rear seat in a ported box.

"Dude the more your sub weighs the more watts it puts out"

I have a total of 3.662 cubes minus port for a sub that displaces .16cf. That leaves me with 3.502cf after sub displacement and port displacement. I talked with kicker and even the literature that came with the sub recommends a minimum box size of 3cf and not to worry about the sub displacement. They added it into the design. I contemplated firing backwards, but the available grills for kicker squares leave big openings for stuff to get through. I went with forward facing. I will post pictures as I get it closer to finished. Should be knocking out some stapling later today. Got the trim plate done last night though. Looks good if you ask me...

Will post pics soon.

This is my attempt to build my first real ported box. I used 3/4 inch mdf for the main box and home depot carpet to trim it out. It was a closer match than the black automotive carpet that was available. The subwoofer is a 2008 version Kicker L7 15" that is rated for 1000w RMS and 2000w Peak. I chose a slightly unorthodox amplifier. Its a power acoustik razor series that puts out 1400w RMS at 2 ohms. It may be a little over rated, but I have a hard time believing that it is not giving me at least 750w RMS that kicker is calling for in a ported box. I may need to add some poly fill batting to lower the tuning. So far it hits hard enough to tickle my ear drums.

WP_000221.jpg

WP_000220.jpg

I started by building the trim plate out of 1/2 plywood that I had laying around my garage. It took some time to scribe in the plate to fit the area, but patience and determination paid off.

WP_000230.jpg

WP_000229.jpg

Plate and amp installed

WP_000232.jpg

Main body of box installed and wiring installed.

WP_000235.jpg

Box and back plate final installed. The white sealant is a hybrid silicone caulk that has a faster cure time than pure silicone. This is my first time working with the stuff.

WP_000236.jpg

Final install from the front. I have to work on my carpeting skill. I used the wrong type of carpet, too. I may recarpet in the future. Automotive carpet would have wrapped better.

WP_000237.jpg

The trunk. I will be adding led strip lights and a cargo net to the plate to store stuff in.

So far it sounds good.

Archived