Second Skin Audio

First box build, Help!

Attempting first box build at 31!! Woohoo alright, what I'm workin with and what I have so far, getting 2 re se pro 12's dual 4 ohm, running off of audiopipe apsm 1300 (1000 watt class d mono @ 1ohm) gonna build an L port design that I used off the re box calculater, its going into an 02 grand am coupe rear firing in trunk, box dim; W-37.25,,,H-14.25,,,(t&b)depth-19.5,,,wood thickness-.75,,,sq port width-3.5,,,sq port length-0,,, shows box tuned at 32.72 hz and a box volume of 4.193 made it a little more volume to account for 45's in all the corners and possibly a pole brace in between subs running front to back, also gonna use the 3/4 oak ply and put a nice stain on it and some clear to make it shiny! Should I resin the inside of box?? Or is that overkill for what I'm workin with? Along with the pole brace? Or would double paneling the front and back be enough, putting 1 on front for sure to give my speakers that recessed look! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

RE CAlC is ok. I built my 1st 2 boxes using it. You should download torres box calc instead and plug in the numbers. Not exactly sure where on the forum the thread is but do a search and it should come up. Some will say 45s aren't needed but if you can, might as well. Oak ply is pretty good and light. I've used it on a few boxes I built. As for resin, unless you wanted to just do it for experience, I wouldn't waste money on it. As long as it's glued right and the box doesn't flex (with the pole brace that is), resin shouldn't be needed. You should look into some all thread for bracing too. As for the double baffles, I doubt you need one for the rear. A second front with the flush mount would look good though.

Thanks man!, will def look for the torres calc, and prob scratch off the resin, I guess im mostly worried about box volume, the tuning, and port noise, want it to sound good and not waste to much time and $$$! I currently have a crappy prefab slot port box tuned around 40 hz ish and it falls on its face tryin to go low with 2 rockford punch hx'2 12's, so I'm thinkin 33 ish hz is where I wanna be for a daily driver that sounds good and I can occasionally flex some faces with! Thanks again!

Personally, I like 33hz for a daily application. Seems like you get the best of both worlds, haha. Also, HX2's in a prefab, man that sucks! Good luck on your build man.

Archived