Dual Alts on Chevy 4.3

As I'm looking to pretty much start this build from the ground up, I'm starting with my electrical. Well to start things off I got a DC Power 250 HD for my 97 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3 v6. Well I'm looking into doing a dual alt setup on my truck. Well non of the major brands have a dual alt bracket for my truck or even this engine model. That really left me with asking / having some one to make a custom one or do it myself. Well if someone would do it for me I was probably going to have to pay a minimum of about $300. So I set out to make my own bracket. So here's how I have done it and how things are going.

Here's one of the 2 alts I plan on getting

IMG_4566_zpsa388a210.jpg

Well to start off lets look at the space I have to use. You will see the vacuum line actually takes up part of the space. Its the line with the green cap on it. I have relocated this.

IMG_4882_zps354eb38a.png

Now after I relocated the hose

IMG_4881_zps60095a5c.jpg

Well now that I have my space and an idea of what I'm looking at doing I made a cardboard template that I could get some measurements off of.

After I had the template made up I went and drew it up in AutoCAD to get a pretty good idea of size and shape, and where all my bolt holes would be. Well now I needed to start making better templates to see how well it was going to fit. Lucky me I had a friend that works at ACE Hardware and he got me all the scrap .100 plaxi glass I could need to dial in my design. I have started cutting out and making the templates.

Prototype 1

IMG_4873_zpsaaa6f6a0.jpg

Prototype 2

IMG_4874_zps7d6b6003.jpg

Prototype 3

IMG_4875_zps84252d23.jpg

Prototype 4

IMG_4876_zps802ea88b.jpg

Prototype 5

IMG_4877_zpsf63b747f.jpg

Metal Prototype

IMG_4878_zpsb9150b42.jpg

Now that I'm getting closer to strong design and something that my eyes likes I can get more detailed and dial everything in. Well now comes the test fit with one of 3 mounting holes

70f1a2a4-4378-4c6e-9752-25f854835bef_zps

and the second with the hole made in it and a bolt holding it down

IMG_4861_zps42eafd71.jpg

this is about as far as I have got so far. My plans are to get a piece of wood for my final template that 1 inch thick and make sure everything is perfect for all my mounting and positions. Stay tuned for more to come and updates.

Archived