Pulling Wire

So ya wanna know how to pull a 0 gauge wire through a conduit that runs from the engine bay to the trunk of your car? Ok heres how: Items you will need: #1 shopvac #2 very strong string (I used some 250lb test trotline) #3 armor all (yes armor all ill explain below) #4 patience and a strong arm. Okay so first thing you do once you have your conduit run and secured and i mean secured is you take your string and tie something small like a piece of cloth to the end of it, this is so the vacuum has something to pull on. Second you insert the string in one end of conduit and hook up your shop vac to the other end and turn it on. It may take some fiddling at this point to get it to suck the string all the way through. Third you secure the string to the end of your wire, DO NOT TIE IT! if you tie a knot it can get hung to the point of not being able to unhang it, simply lay about 6 inches of string on the wire and wrap about 3 inches of it with electrical tape, then lay to other 3 inches back on itself and wrap again. This is where it gets hard, take your armor all and spray a small amount in the end of the conduit and apply some to the end of the wire as well and insert the wire in the end of the conduit, you will be able to push a large amount of wire through before you will need to pull it. The armor all is acting as a lube for the wire and we all know that that is some slick shit :) Continue to push the wire through until you are unable to do so going to the other end and pulling out the slack on the string. Now is the hard part lube up the remaining wire and go to the other end and grab that string, pull like your life depends on it and spray a bit of armor all in the end of the conduit and you should be able to get the wire the rest of the way through. Having a buddy on the other end pushing would help you alot i am describing how this went down for me this last friday night when i did all this by myself. I hope this helps some of ya'll out that have to do multiple big wire runs and ain't got no way to run them inside the car/truck.

Archived