Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Advice on RE MX 18D2 Enclosure.


m6tzg6r

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is my first car audio build, and i dont want to stuff anything up, im spending about 5 grand on my system and want to make sure it kicks ass. I recently got 2 x RE Audio MX 18D2's from Sonic Electronix and was thinking of making seperate 4 cubic feet boxes for them. I dont want 1 big box incase 1 sub fails then the remaining sub will be in a box too big for it. Also 1 box is heavier and harder for me to move. Anyway the dimensions i had in mind for each box is 21"L x 21"W x 21"H, box is going to be sealed, and internal volume should be about 4.291, if i use 3/4" MDF. Should i use 1" MDF instead, or is 3"4 enough to handle the force of an 18"?

I actually dont have a car yet but i will be getting an SUV style of car to easily fit my two 18's. I know there is room to fit ported boxes but since i am making the boxes myself i want to go sealed because i doubt i will be able to properly make a ported box properly. Also i listen to rap and metal, and some death metal, so thats why i chose a sealed box because i need that tighter faster excursion for fast metal drum beats. I was listening to a song in my mates car that had a fast beat and i could hear his ported sub go out of sync with the music cause the beat was too fast for the woofer to keep up, i assume using a sealed box will improve or even fix the bass from lagging behind on fast paced music?

Each sub is 1500 watt rms @ 1ohm and i will be running each sub on its own Hifonics Hurcules that does 2000 watt @ 1ohm each. So i will be properly feeding the subs, so is the box volume of 4 cubic feet what i should be aiming at, or 4.5 even? I saw a review at http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=86 where they say they tested it in a 4.5 cubic feet box, but even say it could be in a little bigger box to make it sound deeper. God knows if that is accurate, but if i could make the sub better by going with 5 cubic feet instead of 4 cubic feet then it seems wise to do, unless its gonna overwork the woofer, or cause fast bass beats to not play as accurate.

Anyway thanks for reading if you made it this far, and any advice would be nice, and yes i am a bit of a noob at car audio, ive been into building gaming pc's for years now, and this is the first time im getting my feet wet with car audio.

Posted

Assuming you know you are going to have to upgrade your electrical system to handle 4000wrms. I have heard and own ported systems that handle fast kick drum accurately. I listen to a lot of death metal, and have 2 Type R 15's in a ported box. They keep up just fine, it may not be as tight as a sealed box though.....Just my opinion. I think 3/4 double faced, and maybe some bracing should be fine; I'm no expert on boxes so get another opinion.

Ported boxes are really not that difficult; there is one more cutout and 2 more pieces of wood.(assuming vented port) I think a well designed ported box will work well for your application.

"Dude the more your sub weighs the more watts it puts out"

Posted

Yeah im going to upgrade the alternator and get a new battery up front and another in the rear. And do big 3 upgrade, and be running 0 gauge as much as possible. and im gonna double face the boxes and put some triangle blocks around the base and walls to make it stronger.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9689 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...