Sundown Audio

Setting Amp Gains with Deck at Half Volume?

DSMKilla

I had a similar issue in my car. Mids are running straight off an Alpine cde-hd149bt. In a 3rd gen Camaro the "rear" speakers are in the sail panels right next to the passengers heads and they were drowning out my tiny little 250w JL amp and 12" subs. I have my gain set per the instructions in the JL manual and it sounds great minus the fact the mids were drowning it out. My solution was going into the head unit settings and turning down the front and rear speakers while keeping the sub output at +0. My fronts and rears are about -8 now and the sound is balanced. Only way I could think to do it without stressing out the amp.

Just posting my solution to this issue.

I ended up taking Swordlordboy1234's advice and using the EQ to dial down my mid's and high's. So basically I set my HU to max undistorted volume and then dialed in the gain on my subwoofer. Then used the EQ to dial down the mid's and high's frequencies to a lower volume level and then just blended it all in from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions and of course to Swordlordboy1234 for the advice that led to my resolution :)

Archived