Sundown Audio

Is there really this big of an increase in quality?

dawgs007

The settings on the amp are:

Gain: 5/11

Infrasonic: ~25hz

Freq Hz: ~60hz

Punch Eq: ~45%

I 80% of the time have the remote gain knob all the way at min. it only moves when it goes to MAX, and it only stays at max for <30 seconds.

What is your headunit preout voltage? If you're having bass with that gain knob at minimum then your gain is more than likely set too high. What is the reason that you only turn your knob to max for short time periods? If you get the gain set right on the amp, you can leave the remote knob cranked without worry and have a lot more variation of volume when turning it. And turn that punch eq all the way down, bass boost is a bad thing.

I 80% of the time have the remote gain knob all the way at min. it only moves when it goes to MAX, and it only stays at max for <30 seconds.

What is your headunit preout voltage? If you're having bass with that gain knob at minimum then your gain is more than likely set too high. What is the reason that you only turn your knob to max for short time periods? If you get the gain set right on the amp, you can leave the remote knob cranked without worry and have a lot more variation of volume when turning it. And turn that punch eq all the way down, bass boost is a bad thing.

HU preout is 4v. And I turn the knob on for a short time just simply due to the fact that I don't want to intentionally do damage to the amplifier. And the bass is "perfect" for me when the knob is at minimum. Just enough to be heard, but still able to hear the highs and mids.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

HU preout is 4v. And I turn the knob on for a short time just simply due to the fact that I don't want to intentionally do damage to the amplifier. And the bass is "perfect" for me when the knob is at minimum. Just enough to be heard, but still able to hear the highs and mids.

Gain is too high on the amp pal. When that remote is on the lowest setting, you should have very little to no noticeable output from the subs... Not a perfect average listening level as you seem to be describing, that should be what you're getting when you move the knob clockwise somewhere between the minimum and max turn. The way you're describing to be set now, the second you're turning that knob off of minimum you're clipping the balls out of the subs. But seriously, turn off that bass boost also.

Gain is too high on the amp pal. When that remote is on the lowest setting, you should have very little to no noticeable output from the subs... Not a perfect average listening level as you seem to be describing, that should be what you're getting when you move the knob clockwise somewhere between the minimum and max turn. But seriously, turn off that bass boost also.

Will do. But, if the bass boost goes off, then won't the min of the knob then be where you are saying it should be at? And out of the 11 possible gain, what would you say is an acceptable boundary for it to be in?

Backups:

Gain is too high on the amp pal. When that remote is on the lowest setting, you should have very little to no noticeable output from the subs... Not a perfect average listening level as you seem to be describing, that should be what you're getting when you move the knob clockwise somewhere between the minimum and max turn. But seriously, turn off that bass boost also.

Will do. But, if the bass boost goes off, then won't the min of the knob then be where you are saying it should be at? And out of the 11 possible gain, what would you say is an acceptable boundary for it to be in?

Bass boost only boosts selected frequencies by the amp, not the entire frequency range. No turning it off won't cure your problem alone. But with a 4 volt head unit, that gain knob on the amp shouldn't take much turning at all but without an oscope or a dd1 it won't be set perfectly at all. A guess would be closer to the 3 mark than the 5 that you're set on.

Bass boost only boosts selected frequencies by the amp, not the entire frequency range. No turning it off won't cure your problem alone. But with a 4 volt head unit, that gain knob on the amp shouldn't take much turning at all but without an oscope or a dd1 it won't be set perfectly at all. A guess would be closer to the 3 mark than the 5 that you're set on.

I understand there is tutorials on here, but how do you set the gain properly based on the output voltage of the HU? All I really know is that you use a Multimeter. But I don't know where to test the voltage actually AT.

Backups:

Wait wait wait.... Someone who knows these Prime amps, does the remote knob on these adjust the bass boost instead of the gain?? OP- If that is the case.. Throw the knob away and don't use it. What i'm reading online describes it that way... Wait for someone that knows these amps to chime in on that. But if it is a remote bass boost adjustment instead of a gain, you don't want to touch it.

I understand there is tutorials on here, but how do you set the gain properly based on the output voltage of the HU? All I really know is that you use a Multimeter. But I don't know where to test the voltage actually AT.

If you were to go about testing that way, which a lot of people would tell you not to do because you wouldn't be able to convert that measurement into anything to adjust the gain knob with anyway... It would be tested at the end of the RCA cable.

Wait wait wait.... Someone who knows these Prime amps, does the remote knob on these adjust the bass boost instead of the gain?? OP- If that is the case.. Throw the knob away and don't use it. What i'm reading online describes it that way... Wait for someone that knows these amps to chime in on that. But if it is a remote bass boost adjustment instead of a gain, you don't want to touch it.

The remote controls

• On-board PEQ (Punch Equalization) with 18 dB of boost at 45Hz

Backups:

Archived