viol8ter Posted September 13, 2014 Author Report Posted September 13, 2014 I also plan on building a bandpass test box(First Time) any suggestions on specs?
Ritch40 Posted September 13, 2014 Report Posted September 13, 2014 What are your max dimensions? I will TRY to give it a crack once.
viol8ter Posted September 13, 2014 Author Report Posted September 13, 2014 What are your max dimensions? I will TRY to give it a crack once. W D H 44x30x20
Ritch40 Posted September 14, 2014 Report Posted September 14, 2014 i havent forgotten...lol the first 3 ideas bombed once i started drawing them out. A pretty common issue believe it or not.
Ritch40 Posted September 14, 2014 Report Posted September 14, 2014 Okay, here is a suggestion. If you should want more dimensions and detail feel free to let me know. This was fun to design. I am not as thrilled about this as i would prefer to be, but, I do think it will be fairly solid. You will notice voids in the sealed area, I would fill these with expandable foam or glue in sheets of drywall. It just depends on how much weight you would like to try and save. After the first 5 ideas tanked, this is what i came up with to keep a 2:1 ratio(rendering is actually about 2.5:1 ratio) as close as possible along with keeping the sealed section real close to rockfords spec for the 12 T2 d4 If you have any questions or would like more detail please feel free to let me know. I would be happy to hear any constructive criticism any one has to offer. I really would like to hear what looks good, and what could be improved from a design stand point.
Ritch40 Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 While I am still not real enthused by the basic layout, I am much happier with the over all design now. I like the ratio better. I also know this enclosure is a ton more rigid than my first rendering. Triangle bracing was used in this design so you could get woofers in and out but yet maintain a fairly rigid enclosure. Net sealed volume = 2.05cuft (1.025cuft per woofer). This is after displacements. Net ported volume = 4.144cuft. This is after all displacements. Its pretty difficult (although by no means impossible) to get much closer to a 2:1 ratio. Port is 18.50" tall, 7.00" wide and 60" long. The sealed end is tuned to 48Hz. The ported side is tuned to 35Hz. Port velocity tops out around 51 feet per second just above 33Hz. NOTE: 1) The top will need to be removable so woofers can be installed or removed. 2) I would use either expandable foam or extra layers of wood in the ribbed areas around the sealed portion of the enclosure for added deadening and rigidity. If you would like, I would be happy to email you the sketch up file. This would make it very easy for you to extract all of the dimensions. As always, I welcome constructive criticism. I am positive certain aspects of this design could be improved and enjoy it when I do get some education. P.S. Some additional food for thought (these have been done by others before but still would look real nice). on the port side of the box, make 2 1.5" thick plexiglass windows. Paint the inside of the box white. Install your favorite color l.e.d.'s. That will light up the back of your subs real nice and give your box and even more customized look. For that matter, it would not be difficult to relocate the baffle boards and make it so the subs face forward. The other advantage to that being then you could glue the top down real solid and still be able to get at your subs.
Ritch40 Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 The idea with the plexiglass windows would give you a look something like this. Then you could see either the back or the front of your subs. If you wanted to see the front some minor adjustments would have to be made on the baffle location just to maintain proper volumes.
viol8ter Posted September 16, 2014 Author Report Posted September 16, 2014 Thanks. Looks good. I like the idea of using led's and seeing the back of the subs, what I would really want but am not sure if its possible is to see both sides of the sub, Is it possible to do these boxes with subs up port back? I am new to bandpass boxes why do you face the sub into the port?
MeenGreenAudio Posted September 16, 2014 Report Posted September 16, 2014 that box looks easy to build lol Build Log 1996 chevy suburban 2 zv4 15 kenwood excelon mids and tweeters kenwood excelon deck mevhman 370 3 batts all different mechman avmb II 2 inch squat 33 inch muds straight pipes kixker zx series 4ch sundown amps memphis 0 gauge soon to be fu audio c pillar wall
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.