35chevy Posted September 21, 2014 Report Posted September 21, 2014 Hello all. I'm trying to find enough information to build a vented box for the Planet Audio BB215D sub. I can't find a complete list of T/S parameters online, and after long holds trying to get in touch with them by phone, I gave up. The only info I've found on their site is... Recommended ported... 2.2 cu ft Port Diameter... 23" Port length... 11" Port frequency... 36hz I'm thinking they mean 2 x 3" round ports. A port diameter of 23" is a little excessive. I am trying to understand their recommendations, so I opened up the Torres calculator and went to work. These calculations are for one sub. I entered random external dimensions that gave me 2.2 cu ft gross volume, 2 x 3" ports, 11" port length, and left sub displacement blank. Tuning comes out to 35.94 which is right at the recommended 36 hz and theres a net volume of 2.09 cu ft. Am I on the right track here or should I make changes? Seems like more port area wouldn't hurt after reading what you guys generally recommend. Thank for your help, it is appreciated.
35chevy Posted September 22, 2014 Author Report Posted September 22, 2014 I think I figured it out. The 2.2 cuft recommendation on the planet audio site must be net volume. Every other recommendation I could find for this sub was 2.5 cuft. So, I started with 2.5 cuft gross, 2 3" ports, 10.75 port length, .2 displacement (guess). I ended up with the same tuning and the same net volume as recommended, but the port length is .75 shorter than the recommended 11". After reading the help menu in the torres calculator, I see that port length is the length of the port inside the box. Considering that the box is .75 thick, that puts the effective port length dead on 11". Am I headed in the right direction?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.