Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Material choices


Undrstm8ed

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've always had previously built all of my enclosures from MDF, maybe minus the first two using just cheap particleboard way back when. But after being in several years of Home Audio and Car Audio I've been exposed to different materials for cabinets or enclosures.

Most recently, I've seen what looks to be an amazing design and I would hope sounding from "Marine Grade Birch Plywood". Now I've never have had an opportunity to listen to or experiment with this type of material. And since I am currently building a project of my own in a small Standard Cab truck and doing a bed-through design using three 8" ARC Audio 8D4, (I am more into SQ than SPL. I wasnt planning on competing either, I just prefer the cleaner sound more so than trying to pass a kidney through my colon anymore). I am really lacking in this area and am looking for advice without having to build two separate enclosures and play with them both to find out.

I've been told by a couple others in the industry that the squared off cab for the Ford Ranger truck is full of standing waves and that the Birch enclosure may give a better sound. However, since I dont know what that sounds or feels like this is hard for me to judge on my own. I'd really be interested in seeing anyone in the local SoCal area has something they could demo off at a shop.

Whats been your experience with this topic Steve, or anyone else.

Thanks in Advance

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 5316 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...