More questions - this one about custom alternator add on's

Ok so I'm trying ot fit an 8" circle in a hole for a 5" circle. So my 06 F250 6.0L has the option for what's called an ambulance package. It consists of secondary bracketry and pulley's and tensioners and even an add on harmonic balancer to the existing, which all of that add another belt just for that alternator. I'm still trying to locate the part numbers etc to make this happen. However, the problem is, we're trying to get a 6G sized alt into a 3G sized spot. There's no room to go backward, because the head and valve covers are right there. There is a little bit of room to go forward a bit, I can have a new bracket made or make one myself, or whatever, and I should be able to get it to fit.

Here's the issue. If I do get a 6g alt in there like the larger primary alt, I'm going to be moving the belt position forward whatever the size differnce is between the 3g and 6g alternator. Let's just say, for instance the belt position moves out 1" farther than the stock location. I need to move the belt location out 1" farther as well. I don't know how to go about that.

My first thought was to have another pulley made for the primary alternator that basically double stacks the pulley's so 2 belts can go on it. Then add a tensioner in the proper position and then it would loop over the secondary alt. They're pretty close together so it would be a pretty short belt. But I don't know what stress this will put on the primary alt stud and pulley, or if it's even possible or what.

So what are you guys doing when it comes to custom adding a second alt that doesn't line up with the origitnal belt. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Ready.........go!

Archived