Second Skin Audio

Ported Enclosure General Design questions

broncosean

Hey guys, so I've been in car audio for a few years now and have gotten a taste of a little bit of everything, I've made a few sealed, ported and a fourth order but all were built to manufactures specs. I am more curious about designing my own boxes as far as how much port area to use with what drivers, trading off more port area for high tuning, etc. The main thing I should say is I'm curious the role port area plays other than just using the minimum amount to avoid port noise. For example I'm going to build a box for a friend and he has quite a bit of room to work with behind the seat of his truck and I'm thinking of running a pair of tens and wanna know how much port area is too much, what do I gain by running more port area and low tuning etc. Any help is appreciated guys

1994 Ford bronco

Infininti kappa 4 channel driving a pair of reference 6.5s and a pair of 6x8 kappas

downfiring console w/ a pair of image dynamic 8s on a memphis 250.1

1999 Honda Civic Si

front doors- image dynamics ctx 6" coaxial with ID tweets

Back deck- Image Dynamics ctx 6x9" coaxials

Bass- PSI platform 1 12" in a 4th order tuned to 39hz

Amps- CT sounds 60.4 highs and mids, Ampere Audio 1k bass

Power- Big 3 upgrade, second juicebox 50ah battery, sky high 1/0, skyhigh battery terminals

Well on port area as a general rule port area should be calculated off of xmax for a given tuning frequency.. A good way to avoid port noise (at least In my experience) is to design your box in winisd Pro and keep port velocities right around 20 m/s

Archived