Second Skin Audio

understanding how to use win isd to determine best for 2 pioneerts-w3003d4

mike-g

i'm new to building ported enclosure's and i'm trying to figure out if a ported enclosure would sound better than my sealed box.i've been modeling on win isd but not sure what would be best.any help would be appreciated.

if someone who know's how to determine a good set up could please model the subs and let me know,"so i can build once" as i don't understand what would sound good per modeling them. the t/s are- Fs, 35hz

Qms, 11.50

Qes, 0.62

Qts, 0.59

Vas, 34.6 liters, 1.22 cuft

Rms, 4.44 n.s/m

Mms, 257 g

Cms, 8.3*10-5 (to the fifth power Idk)

Diam, 10.2 in, 257 mm

Bl, 22.4 (8 ohm) 11.2 (2 ohm)

Xmax, 0.54 in, 13.8 mm

Frequency response- 20-80 hz

Rms- 600w max- 2000

please,I'm a noob to all this and currently have a 1.37 cuft sealed @ 48-49hz per sub and i'm wanting more from them,rec. 1.25 sealed, and max is 1.75 cuft sealed

and ported rec.1.50, max 2.0cuft ported, and will it hurt the subs to build over recomended max specs? my wife will kill me if I have to build 3 times

should I just port around Fs 35, and go with max 4 cuft. or would it not hurt to go 5 cuft ported

Lots of personal experience with these subs. 1.5 cubes per sub I've found is best. They preform very well at a tune from 27-47hz (personal experience) so anywhere in that range is good. They like

14-16sq inches of cross sectional area per cube

Check out my build log to see what I have done with them and how I've done it

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

thanks for the input.i checked your build out while looking for ideas a week a 2 ago.joe x suggested the same,and gave me build specs for a enclosure 3cubes net,4.2 gross can't wait to build.currently have a sealed box just shy of 1.4 per sub stuffed with pillow stuffing.so these subs sound good ported.thats cool.thanks again

just curious,so your saying with 3 cubs net,port cross section with these should be 42-48 ?what joe-x gave me had 52 sq inch and 24 1/2(roughly) long.i cant remember off the top of my head have all the dimensions though. Whats the differance in more or less port area?any advantages from 42 versus 52 sq? or does the length of port have something to do with the area being 52"sq @35hz 4.2 gross cubes per joe x's plans.just figured i ry and learn something from people that know more than me. thank you

More port area will generally be louder,but with more cross sectional area you port will have to be longer than if you had less cross sectional area. I have 1 12 aero port for my box so that's about 113sq in of cross sectional area. With an aero port you want 8-12sq in per cube and that puts me at about 10.5.

Edit: an aero port requires less cross sectional area than a slot port because aero ports are more efficient. Ex. An aero port requires 8-12sq in per cube,and a slot port requires 12-16sq in per cube. These are just general rules of thumb but you get the idea.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

i understand, so if i build the 3 cube net with 52 sq in x 24-25 inch long = 4.2 gross cubes should be ok per. joe x's model, (in your opinion)or should I reduce cross section. i was modeling the box he gave me and it had like 122 db.in the 40-50hz region. would that sound good with rap music?i plan on building the model he gave me.if you get a chance will you look on my other post "need help building a ported enclosure" and tell me if you would build for these 12's or would change port area.I'm pretty sure the box would be fine, but i figure you know these subs so why not get your 2 cents.thank you again for the help

Dont get me wrong i may have experience with these subs, but joex is a seasoned vet when it comes to box builds/designs his suggestion seems like a nice one.I dont see how you could go wrong with it. That being said if you want to build a second (or even 3rd) box to experiment around and see how your sub reacts,that is never a bad thing.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

thanks again for the advice i defiantly wasn't ? his stuff,just wondering with your personal exp. I'm going to build the box per specs given to me, and try another in the future i've never had a ported enclosure and only 2 sealed box's that's why all the ?'s.thanks again for all the advice ect..nice build by the way (I thought about putting 4 in my park ave but wife say's 2 are to much in current set up) do you know about what kind of db's your set up pushes?thanks

Archived