Sundown Audio

Suggestions - mix between a PPI900.4 and Hertz HDP4

Alex Musak

Looking for some advice for an amp on a Harley Davison running two sets of Hybrid Audio 6.5's and two sets of Hertz HCX690. I currently use a smaller amp inside my fairing and larger one inside my bags. Remember this isn't a closed enclosure like a car, I need volume to hear this thing on the road so SQ isn't always the first priority. I was running a PPI900.4 and man that amp had a nice warm sound to it...bike would "hit hard" using that amp so I figured the Hertz HDP4 would be an upgrade. The Hertz was absolutely louder and clearer, but it didn't have the same character as the PPI....I lost that warm sound the PPI had. I've tried other amps -- Arc 600.4, Fosgate T400X4AD, JL 400/4 and none were either as loud as the Hertz or as warm as the PPI. Only one left on my list to try is the JL 600/4.

Reading this forum I'm very familiar with brands like Sundown, Ampere, etc. I kind just know the mainstream stuff - Arc Audio, Focal, Hertz, Alpine, etc. Is there an amp out there as loud as the Hertz with the warmth of the PPI? It also needs to be Class D because of Harley's charging system. I've read some good reviews on DD Audios 4 channel SSA4, but also seen tons of clones of the PPI and not sure where this one lands. Any suggestions?

Thanks fellas.

For reference a friend of mine benched the PPI900.4 at 145w@4ohm.

I've "read" the Hertz benched at 196w@4ohm.

Archived