Sundown Audio

Some general amp questions

Coaxial

Cool, finally someone who writes more than I do. :D The amps you mentioned, yeah stay away from them. You're right about audio snobs, but I see it as brand loyalty. Same difference. I'm that way about JL Audio, only because of their prices. I have heard their stuff, very clean sounding but the price keeps me away and I roll my eyes when swear by them.

If your budget is $250, I'd go on Ebay and purchase used items, that are legit brands.

-Frank

Yes, I certainly do like to type long responses. This is all from a tablet, one that doesnt work well. Imagine if I had a PC. I can type fast, literally burn up a keyboard. This finger pecking a touch screen is not fun, but it's all I have now.

Cool, finally someone who writes more than I do. :D The amps you mentioned, yeah stay away from them. You're right about audio snobs, but I see it as brand loyalty. Same difference. I'm that way about JL Audio, only because of their prices. I have heard their stuff, very clean sounding but the price keeps me away and I roll my eyes when swear by them.

If your budget is $250, I'd go on Ebay and purchase used items, that are legit brands.

-Frank

Yes, I certainly do like to type long responses. This is all from a tablet, one that doesnt work well. Imagine if I had a PC. I can type fast, literally burn up a keyboard. This finger pecking a touch screen is not fun, but it's all I have now.

-Frank

I did a little more digging and found a Pioneer 4-channel for just over $100. That's still very much a budget amp at that price so it would fit in well with what I am trying to do. It is a GM-A6604. Doesn't quite have all the features I was looking for but it is close enough. I was looking for variable high pass filters for all 4 channels that dips as low as 40-50 Hz. This one has that for only the rear channels, and the fronts are just a fixed x-over point, likely at 80Hz. I guess this will work, I'll just run those channels to the rear 6.5's high passed at 80, and run the others to the front 6x9's and that way it will allow me to vary the level as low as they seem to respond to while still cutting the lowest frequencies out so they don't distort. Only real problem I see is it might be physically to big to go under my seat and not stick out. That small Kenwood would certainly fit but it is a class D, and someone here said not to do that for full range sound. They stressed it! So I have been sticking to class A/B in searching.

I have had Pioneer in the past and been well satisfied with durability. Heck, I ran a Pioneer deck for 14 years (2000-2014) in and out of 4 different vehicles, the last one for 7 of those years until I recently sold it. Unless they have went down hill recently, this amp ought to work. I will continue to look just a bit more, because honestly, this seems like half the fun in itself, but I guess I will adjust my search methods to not go quite as cheap as I was. Besides that one Jensen amp, I've never really had a super cheap one, so I guess I don't really know what to expect there. It wouldn't be enjoyable to buy one and have it be a bad experience.

Pioneer is still a good budget friendly brand in my opinion and should serve you well for your application. Dont buy jensen. I bought a "900" rms monoblock a few months back just to play with cuz i was curious. It was doa. Thank god for amazons easy return policy.

Archived