Alpine CDE-164BT HU display dimmer question ?

I just installed the Alpine 164BT in my truck. I really like this HU. Seems to have plenty of output, its almost loud enough for me with out an amp. Lots of cool features. Its all pretty straight forward , I have everything set and it sounds great. HOWEVER the display is very bright at night.
There are three settings on the dimmer deal. ON / OFF / AUTO. The AUTO gives you the option to hook up a Wire (orange) to the head light/dash light circuit. This circuit only tells the HU that the head lights are on so it will dim the display. It is not a dimmer circuitand this radio has no dimmer wire.
My issue is the dash lights and for the most part my headlights are on all the time with the key on so I finally decided to not hook this circuit up.

Then I figure out I can use the dimmer on / off option after reading the manual a little more. Thought all was good till I drove the truck at night. Even with the dimmer on its still way too bright.

So my questions are,
Is there an after market gadget or one sold by Alpine that I can install to dim this display along with the dash lights ?
A dimmer light circuit device of some kind perhaps ?
If not does Alpine do mods to HU's ?
Does this unit have a black out feature that I have not found yet ?
I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

I have my dimmer wire hooked up and it works great. When the headlights come on (not the daytime running lights), the unit dims. Maybe try changing the color to something less harsh on the eyes - reds instead of blues?

When you turn your head lights on and the unit dims, does it get dimmer than using the manual setting ( turning the dimmer ON using the CD eject button) ? Because if it does not get any dimmer I am not going to bother hooking up that wire.

Thanks Vice03, I will try changing the colors at night and I will hook that wire up, try using AUTO and see if it dims more. It is plenty bright enough for day time use so just about any 12 volt source with key on should work.

Something tells me I will be fabbing up some kind of tinted cover for this HU , hinged or velcro , just something I can use at night.

Archived