Second Skin Audio

What Sub/Subs?

cvanwey

Hello all,

I mostly listen to speed metal, heavy metal, and rock. However, when the wife is in the car, it is then your typical top 40, 80's music, etc... I'm currently having a system installed in my ride now. Here's what exists so far for sure. My goal is SQL!!!:

- Mercedes CLA45 AMG

- Stock HU <-- can't/won't be changed

- JL Audio Fix82 (OEM integration)

- JL Audio TWK D8 (DSP)

- Arc Audio 1200.6 XDi --> Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's and tweeters (1 set in front doors all running active)

- Zapco C2K 9.0 (4 ohm version) --> SUB??????

I can sacrifice UP TO 3.5^ft if need, but would prefer to stay under 3^ft to save space - small trunk...

I have a few subs already (Bias towards DD and Sundown):

- (1) DD9512f D2 ohm

- (2) Sundown SA-10's D4 ohms

- (1) DD 210 SVC 4 ohm

I put the DD9512 back there, as it was still in a box from a previous car, and found it may be toooo much --- 1.9^ft net tuned to 40htz w/ the sub and port rear firing ?.?. However, I may still try and use it and just try to back it way off to stay balanced with the front stage?.?. I was also thinking to try the (2) SA-10's?

Question 1 - What will be better and why between (1) D9512 vs (2) SA-10's on 2000 watts RMS?

Question 2 - Should I try more "SQ" orients subs instead? And if so, what? Yes, I know DD and Sundown can play SQ, but you know what I mean ;-)

Question 3 - Should I get another DD 210 SVC 4 ohm and run 8 ohms mono @ 1000 RMS?

Question 4 - How much airspace and port size of any said recommendation?

I have NO plans ion running sealed! Tried it, and am NOT satisfied with the output.

Thank you in advance! If I left anything else out, please let me know.

Why not digital designs 3000 series that is aimed towards sound quality?

Are you referring to the new DD 3000 series? If so, yes, those do look interesting for sure. I actually called a dealer and they stated they like 9500 series more though, as they stated all series have a little different sound, but the 9500 seem "faster". He really couldn't explain it, he says they just sound cleaner and more controlled. So I called DD themselves about it. The gentleman I spoke to stated the 3000 series is pretty much a 3500 series woofer with looser suspension. Or something along those lines....

I would also consider Sundowns ZV5 series sub if you are looking at digital designs 9500 series stuff.

Okay, I'll check them out. What box size for my kind of music preference, on the smaller or larger end? Should I tune it higher or lower?

Thanks!!!!

Archived