PowerBass ASA1200.2X

whazoo84

7feed86129d94867c4185b1dfaa936c7.jpg6453f00c0620c6d01a5ecfabf31194f8.jpg80e8d74d0f70ed6abbc8a6e19300f26f.jpgc287aa19721343e5703ef26ca08a27b7.jpg

Question for the commenters:

Should I try and upgrade the power supply a bit to crank a little more wattage out of this thing? The power supply in it isn't the best, nor are some of the components. MOSFETs are Sanken though so that's a plus.

How this amp works: If you see in the pics above, there's only 3 wires going to the outputs, this is because it's constantly running in a sort of "bridged" state. I can explain more if people want to know how this thing makes it's juice.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think this amp will do rated? I see it all over the net for good prices but never pulled the trigger. It has the fusing. What do you think?

Thanks

I think my clamp meter caught it drawing 120A peak at times, so I'll say it can do it's rated peak. I don't know about RMS constantly, but it sure does have the guts on the output stage for it.

Do you think this amp will do rated? I see it all over the net for good prices but never pulled the trigger. It has the fusing. What do you think?

Thanks

I think my clamp meter caught it drawing 120A peak at times, so I'll say it can do it's rated peak. I don't know about RMS constantly, but it sure does have the guts on the output stage for it.

That's good to hear. Powerbass is one of those companies that intrigues me. There not owned by Maxxsonics or something like that. I mean they make there fair share of Boss like products it looks like.

Thanks

That's good to hear. Powerbass is one of those companies that intrigues me. There not owned by Maxxsonics or something like that. I mean they make there fair share of Boss like products it looks like.

Believe it or not PowerBass is one of those weird chinese companies that is extremely inconsistent in product manufacturing.

What I mean by this is they make really good stuff, and also really bad stuff.

For example, they make really nice subwoofers that can take a hit and sound great, they also make great amplifiers like this one.

However the PowerBass ASA.1200.2 (NOT THE X SERIES, THE ONE WITHOUT THE X WHICH IS NOT THIS ONE) was a total piece of trash. The insides looked like shit and were minimalist, and it was so far overrated it wasn't even funny.

Look at comparison pictures and you'll see what I mean. For the most part, they make good equipment. They're like a lot of SoundStream amplifiers, they can make just under their rated power in optimal conditions.

Thanks

Believe it or not PowerBass is one of those weird chinese companies that is extremely inconsistent in product manufacturing.

For example, they make really nice subwoofers that can take a hit and sound great, they also make great amplifiers like this one.

However the PowerBass ASA.1200.2 (NOT THE X SERIES, THE ONE WITHOUT THE X WHICH IS NOT THIS ONE) was a total piece of trash. The insides looked like shit and were minimalist, and it was so far overrated it wasn't even funny.

Look at comparison pictures and you'll see what I mean. For the most part, they make good equipment. They're like a lot of SoundStream amplifiers, they can make just under their rated power in optimal conditions.

That's a pretty good comparison. Soundstream has had me looking at the RN1.5000d for months.

But this is a Opti700x2

https://goo.gl/photos/fWTvLv8h9XsFF9jy9

It's more powerful but you can see that this powerbass should do it's rated. That 700x2 was insane. It blew on me but while I had it, it was amazing.

Thanks

That's a pretty good comparison. Soundstream has had me looking at the RN1.5000d for months.

But this is a Opti700x2

https://goo.gl/photos/fWTvLv8h9XsFF9jy9

It's more powerful but you can see that this powerbass should do it's rated. That 700x2 was insane. It blew on me but while I had it, it was amazing.

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head.

The reason the powerbass and the opti can do their power is because they were built for output, not much else. The input stage is fucking tiny, look at the pictures I posted, there's a few pots for controlling and a few chips and that's it. A few caps here and there and that's it.

Also, that opti's power supply looks a little small. Can you tell me who makes those caps that are paired in 3's on the left of the picture? They look like Lelon. Could you tell me? If not it's fine, just wondering what they used component wise.

The reason the powerbass and the opti can do their power is because they were built for output, not much else. The input stage is fucking tiny, look at the pictures I posted, there's a few pots for controlling and a few chips and that's it. A few caps here and there and that's it.

Also, that opti's power supply looks a little small. Can you tell me who makes those caps that are paired in 3's on the left of the picture? They look like Lelon. Could you tell me? If not it's fine, just wondering what they used component wise.

https://goo.gl/photos/BFqxBsCTdHGWVUMY7

I think these pictures show it. And that would explain how there able to sell them at those prices.

https://goo.gl/photos/BFqxBsCTdHGWVUMY7[/url]

I think these pictures show it. And that would explain how there able to sell them at those prices.

https://goo.gl/photos/BFqxBsCTdHGWVUMY7[/url]

looks like the site had a bit of an issue in your reply lol.

Anyways, yeah those inputs are Lelon. That's fine, probably means all of the components used are B grade, which is fine for a car audio amplifier. It's cheap but not bad.

Archived