Sonic Electronix

Distortion in 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk

I own a 2015 Trailhawk that was purchased with the upgraded Alpine system and 8.4an head unit. I have since added a Alpine PDX V9 which connects to the factory Alpine amp via pair of hilo convertors. I added Morel 6.5 Hybrid Speakers in the front and rear doors and a JL Sub. Since the system was installed I've had an issue with distortion when listening to the USB drive or a high-end music player connected via the Aux port. At times the system will sound very good, other times there is extreme distortion from all speakers. I've had the amp tested, I've tried different speakers. I checked the wiring, redid the ground for the amp and all other connections. Nothing seems to help, least long term.

The most recent example.

Saturday I redid the ground wire and remote turn on wire for the amp. Driving to dinner the system sounded amazing, better then it has in years. I had good clarity and separation, the volume was on 7-8 and was loud. Stop for dinner, driving home I notice the sound quality degrading, and the normal listening level is creeping back up to @15. By the time I got home my ears were bleeding. I've noticed this in the past, the one thing that seems to impact the sound quality most is power cycling the vehicle. At times power cycling the car seems to improve the sound quality.

I've noticed that SMD sells a distortion detector. I haven't read anything about it. Is this something I could use to help isolate the problem. I recently read where other people were having a similar issue with a connected USB device and it could be an problem with the USB connector in the Jeep console or possibly a grounding issue. I didn't see a solution posted. Every time I feel like I'm making headway. My apologies if any of my terms are incorrect, this electrical stuff is all new to me.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Archived