Jump to content

4" speakers in a enclosure vs 6.5" in a door card.


zazzn

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All, 
 

I own a 1998 Lexus SC300, which, like my MK3 Supra, features a plastic ABS sound enclosure inside the door panel. This enclosure is specifically designed to provide the 4" stock speakers with a properly tuned chamber, significantly enhancing their performance.

 

There are aftermarket adapters available that allow you to install 6.5" speakers in the stock location. However, using these adapters essentially turns the speakers into open-air setups. This happens because the door cavity provides far too much air space for the speakers to function optimally.

 

Below are images of the stock speaker and the adapter.

 

 91SDOrkNSXL.jpg 

 

91WK6fS4W2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

Am I better off using a 4" replacement speaker and keeping the baffle?

Also, if I were to replace the speakers, I would ultimately like to keep the stock wiring and amp as I'm not seeking more power to the system, just more clarity as I'm never really more than 1/2 volume in the car server, and while some more bass would be nice, the sub in the rear deck has it's own amp which I can replace. 

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1122 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...