Second Skin Audio

Kicker Cvr12 Vs. Mtx T5500

My friend has an '06 GTO and he wants a single 12 ported. He has an MTX TA3202 rated for 200 rms watts at 4 ohms bridged. The birthsheet says 275 watts. I can find either sub for around $100 shipped. Which do you think I should tell him to go with? I've had CVR12's but I don't have any experience with the T5500's.

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Build Thread

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

(4) Infinity Kappa 682.7CF's

Sundown Audio SAE-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

Fi Q15 with BP power in 4 cubes @ 32Hz

(2) Kinetik HC1800's

Duralast Gold Group 65

Excessive Amperage 250A alternator

Knukonceptz Kolossus 1/0 gauge

Elemental Designs eDead v1SE²

i got a set of 5500 15's and useto have a 12 and they all wanged, ied get the mtx 5500 so it would match up to the amp nicely, and 200wrms is a good amount of watts, tell him to get a 5500 dual 4ohm so he can get it to a 2ohm load so the amp will do its best, my old mtx 500d did 250wrms@4ohm 12.5v, 500wrms @2ohm 12.5 v and 775w@2ohm 14.4v, so ied get the 5500 there built pritty tough imo, my 15's are 300wrms and i throw 500rms to each of em and they take it like a champ, but mines sealed and u can put more power to subs ina sealed box than u can ina ported cause its like a spring behind the sub and wont let it bottom out, so 200wrms would be fine for that sub just make sure to get dual 4ohm if its 2ohm mono stable, if its 4ohm mono stable get the single 4ohm, anyways good luck on what ur doin, and on mtx's website they got box dementions for the subs so u can build it to there specs and should work fine, ima build a ported box for my 5500 15 and see what it sounds like

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

It's a 2 channel amp. It's maximum power is at 4 ohms bridged so I'd get the single 4 ohm version. He listens to half rap, half rock. I haven't decided what to tune his box to yet.

Build Thread

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

Sundown Audio SAE-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(2) Kinetik HC1800's

Duralast Gold Group 65

why not a sealed box? with my experence the deeper the box the deeper it will go or thats how its worked for me, a small sealed box doesnt play as low as a midsize to bigger sealed box, i got a sealed box in my truck and it hits lows like nothin ive had befor, and is easyer on the sub, but for the sub ied do this, http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwo...ta_T5512-04.pdf

i guess sence its there box design and they make the speakers i guess this will be the best box to build, ima build one prolly tommrow or later, anyways ied do that ported box and they give the dementions for it so thats good and should sound good with pritty much anything, someweres around 30-38htz is more rap, and 40-46htz is more rock and country i think cause most rock songs bass comes from kick drum and bass guitar, and rap is more digital imposed signals that play down to 20htz and up so ied do that ported box they got on there, should be pritty easy to do i guess, anyways good luck man

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Yeah I build ported boxes and he's had a sub sealed in his GTO before. He liked how ported sounded in my car so he wants ported. I was thinking 35-38 hz. I tune mine to 31-32 hz but I have a feeling that would be too low for him.

But back to the question at hand, has anyone used both subs and have an opinion?

Build Thread

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

Sundown Audio SAE-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(2) Kinetik HC1800's

Duralast Gold Group 65

CVR or 5500?

Build Thread

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

Sundown Audio SAE-1000D

Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(2) Kinetik HC1800's

Duralast Gold Group 65

I have never used the mtx before but i used to have three 8" CVR's in a horn in my jeep and they slapped real hard people didnt believe they were 8's. I listen to both rock and rap and they performed nicely with both. they are most likely similar subs when it comes to sound so I would prolly go with the cheaper one. if you build the right box either will live up to his expectations.