Second Skin Audio

Subs Smelly?help

Alright i finally hooked up my new system today, just a trial run til my zx2500 comes in. I was playing it for a little while on a brutus 2607 amp wired at 2 ohms, and the subs started getting a little smelly, like i could smell the vc's or somethin....two of the subs i had in a previous setup, the other two i bought were refurbished.....do you think that the refurbished subs need a break in period? are they reconed or just fixed? also i wanted to ask about my box......i built a box that is 14 cubic ft, tuned to 34 hz and the port seems to be shaking like crazy, ive built boxes before and they never do this......but when the bass dropped down really low the outside piece of the port starts shaking? is there any way that i can reinforce that side of the port without port noise......because that is the only part of the box that this is happening?! thanks guys

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

wow thats a big box... is that 14cuft external?

port should budge

refurbished means the cone spider vc where taken out and new ones put in which means there might be extra glue but it shouldnt last long or smell like burning wood.... more like acrid glue

pics are worth a thousand words... i ve never seen a port move so a vid or pics would help alot

are the 4 l7s dual 4s or dual 2s and are all of them the same ohm... how are they wired also?

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

wow thats a big box... is that 14cuft external?

port should budge

refurbished means the cone spider vc where taken out and new ones put in which means there might be extra glue but it shouldnt last long or smell like burning wood.... more like acrid glue

pics are worth a thousand words... i ve never seen a port move so a vid or pics would help alot

are the 4 l7s dual 4s or dual 2s and are all of them the same ohm... how are they wired also?

14.3 ft internal before displacement......i dont have any vids yet but i'll post some pics.....yea it might have been the glue that i was smelling.....bc it wasnt as strong as vc and it didnt hang arounf like vc burn would. the subs are all dual 4......and there wired in series at 2 ohm, so the brutus wasnt even really pushin em...givin em maybe 1400 rms total. I'll post pics in a few minutes

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Looks nice, seems about the right size for the subs if that is before port and sub displacement. But its kinda hard to tell you by just that picture.

yea i kno....im tryin to upload the pics and a short vid real quick

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

well allthread is a cure all pretty much for ur situation... the fact that its 1/2-3/4 threaded steel rod and circular doesnt create as much turbulance as a 90 degree turn in a port without a 45 degree angle imo...

you could sand the paint off the side of the box that is a port wall.... and add another 3/4 plywood or mdf... i guess that would help

if the box is 14cuft without displ ur fine... tuning is fine... glad to see below 35 for l7s

allthread would help most... another layer 2nd.... both would cure it no matter what....

this is one of the downsides of using a slot port... with that large of an enclosure

at least it means it can only get louder and cleaner!

TeamSundown-sig.jpg