I cant get rid of this lil bastard! everytime I try to delete it it goes away then the anti virus finds it again!

ips_xmlhttprequest[1].js

help!

that isn't necessarily a virus.... what makes you think so? And what is the full path it is located at. It is probably a temp file in your internet folder and it is from a site that you visit often.

edit: most likely this site, as it uses software written by ips (hence the prefix) and specifically that file.... which is a java file.

Edited by Btrash

im using trend micro. and it says its in my temporary internet folder

If you are using the newest version of trend micro, and that file is showing as a "generic" virus, it is a false positive.

From another forum:

I am using the "beta" scan engine for my Trend Micro Internet Security Suite 2008, and on closer inspection the emails from Trend Micro said that false positives are more likely to occur with this beta engine, especially for viruses with the words "POSSIBLE_", "SUSPICIOUS_FILE" or "_GENERIC" in them. That last one totally fits the bill for my problem.

From the sounds of it, trend micro is using "smart" scanning that trys to detect what the actual file is trying to do so that it can detect viruses that are not yet known by detecting "viruslike" activity. Well some javascript, and other files have "viruslike" activity, but aren't actually viruses. I'm sure as time goes on, trend micro will add known files to not show as being viruses. I am sure that somewhere in your options you can add file exceptions (files that you tell it not to scan) so that it doesn't keep thinking it is a virus.