Lil Project I Guess Haha.

I have a 1/24th scale Chevy Express cargo. I had planned on making a miniature SPL vehicle. I could not find a speaker that would fit in the van (would have to be a 2 inch sub).

After watching the styrofoam plate speaker video that was posted here, got me thinking...

Maybe I could make a custom lil' woofer to fit my application. I watched that video a few times and figured I could improve on his design a bit...

So this is what I've come up with.

MiniSubrender1.jpg

MiniSubrender2.jpg

MiniSubrender3.jpg

Let me explain this now..

The Blue is the basket. As I won't be able to make a sub style motor, I will do something similar to what he had done in the video. however make it more like a real sub instead a bunch of cutlery and cardboard. I figured I can stack a few small magnets ontop of each other, and make a collar to support them at the bottom, and make it sturdy so the magnet won't move.

The black cylinder attached to the basket, is the magnets/motor.

The grey thing with all the gold stuff on it is the voice coil. It may not need as many turns on it as shown, but its just for illustrative purposes.

The Black is the cone and surround. Haven't thought of what I could make the surround out of, would like to use foam like real subs but not sure what else I could use.. the cone will be treated paper.

Missing from the rendering is a spider. Again not sure what I will make that out of.

What do you guys think? I know its pretty dumb to some of you, but to me its a learning experience...

Heres the youtube video if you guys never saw it.

I'm hoping that this thing in a ported box will be able to play lower notes.. but it might not be possible... I may still do it anyway..

Edited by Gearstix

Tang band has ACTUAL 2-3-4" subwoofers now, let me see if I can dig it up

The Unicorn/Aura bassy looking tweeter there is, just a midrange/tweeter, not meant for the excursion like it looks I have ALOT of experience with them speakers there

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?We...anufacturer=276

Edited by Forevrbumpn
sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Tang band has ACTUAL 2-3-4" subwoofers now, let me see if I can dig it up

The Unicorn/Aura bassy looking tweeter there is, just a midrange/tweeter, not meant for the excursion like it looks I have ALOT of experience with them speakers there

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?We...anufacturer=276

I did see those.

I do have a 1:18 scale chevy silverado ext cab, so I might do a walkthrough in it...

but the 2" ones that would fit the van, Fs is 90hz... its alot lower than the others, but would it be low enough?