Sundown Audio

Running Eclipse Amp At 3 Ohms

Lucas702

yea because my l5 dvc 4 ohms a piece dont sit at 3.65 ohms when cold once played they rise to about a 4 ohm load. so if he says those speakers are sittin at 3 ohms maybe if he plays them and heats them up the resistance will rise to around 4 which will be fine for the amp he is using. theirs a difference between a resistor and a coil of wire.

Ever heard of a wire-wound resistor? I wonder what that looks like :01nocomment8so:

A 3 ohm speaker shouldn't rise to 4 ohms unless you seriously heat it up. What will cause it to rise is impedance rise caused by the fact that the coil also acts as an inductor. This will give a final working resistance that's probably much higher than nominal BUT doesn't guarantee the resistance will always be high enough to be safe... and when you measure it, you do it with the speaker playing.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I put the amp on stereo, and hooked only one midbass up through its crossover to the amp, no tweeters or the other midbass. It played fine at low levels but as soon as i turn it up a little bit (not much at all) it just stops working, meaning the amp goes into protect? What can I do to solve this now that I already have everything here and its not working? thanks