Second Skin Audio

Need Help With Box

Im in a tough situation!! i have jl audio w3 13.5's and im trying to fit them in my chevy malibu trunk. would it be better to make the box sealed and put polyfill in it or build it ported but make it shorter than the subwoofers specs call for????? i have a feeling if i port it, it wont sound good because the box is too small!

any suggestions are helpful!!!!!!!! :D

Making the box smaller (or less efficient) isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can give them more power than suggested to make up for it. As long as your tuning is right, you should be fine.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Making the box smaller (or less efficient) isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you can give them more power than suggested to make up for it. As long as your tuning is right, you should be fine.

yeah it just seems like the speaker is a little too close to the port wall. i was going to put polyfill in the ported box bc it was too small but i heard that it doesnt help in ported boxes?

it does and it doesn't.

it makes the subs think the box is bigger because it slows down the air movement in the box but it also slows down the movement of the waves coming out of the port.

i never really cared for it in ported boxes. works magic in sealed though.

it does and it doesn't.

it makes the subs think the box is bigger because it slows down the air movement in the box but it also slows down the movement of the waves coming out of the port.

i never really cared for it in ported boxes. works magic in sealed though.

So what do you think i should do???

The sealed box thats at the exact subwoofer specs with polyfill

or

A ported box thats a couple inches shorter than what the subwoofer specs call for :wacko:

So what do you think i should do???

The sealed box thats at the exact subwoofer specs with polyfill

or

A ported box thats a couple inches shorter than what the subwoofer specs call for :wacko:

I have 2 jl audio w3 13.5's in a double chambered sealed box filled with poly fill (i think a bag per chamber, maybe a touch more)in my 2006 grand prix GXP. The external Dim. of my box are 27" wide, about 13" deep and about 16.25" tall. A little smaller then the spec sealed volume but it sounds great. hits 25 Hz nicely. granted I am wanting to play with designing some ported boxes also now.

just change up the dimensions a little to fit in your space give you ateast close to the 1.75 ft3 and it hits pretty tight. hardly any delay in the kick drums...isnt that pretty much what a custom box is about. oh and I used 3/4 MDF.

Edited by shainemcconnell

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

I have 2 jl audio w3 13.5's in a double chambered sealed box filled with poly fill (i think a bag per chamber, maybe a touch more)in my 2006 grand prix GXP. The external Dim. of my box are 27" wide, about 13" deep and about 16.25" tall. A little smaller then the spec sealed volume but it sounds great. hits 25 Hz nicely. granted I am wanting to play with designing some ported boxes also now.

just change up the dimensions a little to fit in your space give you ateast close to the 1.75 ft3 and it hits pretty tight. hardly any delay in the kick drums...isnt that pretty much what a custom box is about. oh and I used 3/4 MDF.

yeah i used to have them in a ported box that was close to spec and it sounded good. but i just bought another 13.5 so now i have 3 and im trying to fit them in my trunk. if i go sealed i could do the exact jl specs. im still not sure

are yours loud in the sealed????????

yeah i used to have them in a ported box that was close to spec and it sounded good. but i just bought another 13.5 so now i have 3 and im trying to fit them in my trunk. if i go sealed i could do the exact jl specs. im still not sure

are yours loud in the sealed????????

yes they are loud....I am unsure how loud. because the meter I have only goes to 126 and I could max that at half volume even with some metal music. they would probably be louder if I had more power going to them..I only have the JL 500/1 on the 2.

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

yes they are loud....I am unsure how loud. because the meter I have only goes to 126 and I could max that at half volume even with some metal music. they would probably be louder if I had more power going to them..I only have the JL 500/1 on the 2.

do you have any vid of them?

Trying to fit 3 of them in that trunk, I would probably go with sealed. Three 13.5's is a lot of subwoofer, trying to fit a large ported box in and out might not be in your future :)

What are your max dimensions you have to work with?

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck