Ground Loop Or Something

I think I have a wiring issue with my front 5.25" speakers, maybe a ground loop? I ran a digital silence track and could hear a subtle noise, kinda like a fizzle-y noise? I don't know how to describe it...Anyhow, I think it keeps killing my doors. I'm on my second pair of coax's, and I think my tweets have died. Can anyone help me with what it might be? The back speakers don't make the same noise, and I have run the same pair of triaxials back there for almost a year...

Too many projects, too little time...

I think I have a wiring issue with my front 5.25" speakers, maybe a ground loop? I ran a digital silence track and could hear a subtle noise, kinda like a fizzle-y noise? I don't know how to describe it...Anyhow, I think it keeps killing my doors. I'm on my second pair of coax's, and I think my tweets have died. Can anyone help me with what it might be? The back speakers don't make the same noise, and I have run the same pair of triaxials back there for almost a year...

Well first off, there could be many things blowing your door speakers. If you ran digital silence and heard noise, that could be a few things also, but alt whine or induction won't blow your speakers.

Do you have the speakers amped? If you do, ensure you're not beating the hell out of them. I'm willing to bet you're clipping the hell out of them whether it be head unit or amp's signal. You need to take your car to someone who has an o-scope and have your stuff tuned properly.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

No amps yet, just off the HU. Nobody around me has an O-scope so I'm SOL there, but I have never heard any clipping from my cabin speakers.

EDIT: not alt whine, it's steady regardless of engine/vehicle speed. i thought maybe fuel pump but thats in the back, so that wouldn't cause it, right?

Edited by ktownsdriftking

I wonder if your crossovers are setup right. How do you have them running (what wires are input) and how is your crossover set? (0db, -3db, BiAmp, etc...)

[email protected]

It was just the tweeters, but now the woofers are getting a real staticky, crunchy noise to them as well. I don't know what it is...To recap, all cabin speakers are off the HU, I have never had a problem with the rear speakers, but my doors keep blowing out. There's no alternate inputs, just the usual positive and negative, so no different ways to set the crossovers up...There are passive crossovers built into most coax's, right? Or is that where I went wrong, do I need to buy some bass blockers or something of the like if/when I replace the presumed blown speakers?

Have you made sure you hooked up F and R correctly? Test your fade to check. You might be sending too strong of a signal to your fronts using rear line out.

Have you pop tested from behind the head unit or ran an in-phase and out-of-phase voice track? Check to be sure you're speakers aren't reversed polarity up front or behind the head unit. (You can test for ACV as well on the speaker wire)

Are you maxing out the volume while playing? I know HU power is usually no match for MB Quart speakers, but clipping can still ruin speakers. Tweeters almost always blow first...

This is all I can think of right now man... This is all assuming all is well with tuning.

[email protected]

Hell you might even wanna try running new speaker wires from HU to door. A small short behind the harness could be ruining your front stage.

And lastly, I would say the head unit is sending a poor signal to the fronts. You really need to check the waveform to find out what's going on (and where).

[email protected]

F/R is correct.

Pop test? What's that?

Volume has never gone above 20 out of 32 or 34, can't recall which. Then again, it is Sony, so maybe it is clipping...

I will try and get some wire to rerun the fronts.

By checking waveform, do you mean checking the in phase/ out of phase? I'm new to a lot of this stuff...

Sorry if I am asking a bunch of really stupid questions. I really do appreciate the help though