Project "SQL Monte Carlo v4" *Updated 1.26.12*

Time for a change.....

I didn't have any issues at all with my Sundown setup. Subs and amp were solid as shit, amp put out clean power and the subs took it like champs, never got stinky or anything and banged the lows super nice. But I felt it was time for an upgrade. Plans this time around are:

Digital Designs 3512f

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d

Crescendo PA6.5's

Highs, not sure yet

Mike Singer h/o alt

Trystar 1/0 welding cable

MK Battery Group 24 deep cycle battery in the trunk

I've already got the amp, battery and sub (was gonna do 2 subs but my hookup could only get me 1 for now but I will get another once that works itself out)

Alt, wire and midbass will be ordered tomorrow or Friday...gotta hurry up and figure out what i'm gonna do for highs, but either way I'll probably end up running my mids/highs active off my SQA4100 since it's got a pretty nice xover network on it.

CameraZOOM-20120125213707.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120125213503.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120112172159.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120112172813.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120112172429.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120112172130.jpg

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I'm gonna use the box I built a few pages back for my DD 2512, its 2.25ft3 tuned to 34hz.....at some point I might build a new one with a 6"aero, we'll see how this sounds first. Havent used the amp yet but heard it does rated as long as u have good electrical, for the price it cant be beat.

Mids/highs ordered.....all that's left to order is my power wire....jg23 sent me a sample FOR FREE (good lookin' out mayne!) so I can check it out first to see if I like it before I buy it. The wire he sent is Trystar 1/0 welding cable and I should have it on Monday and if I like it then it'll be ordered when I get home. Getting juiced now!

• 3 weeks later...

Mids and highs...check! Power wire....check! Secondary battery....check! MIke Singer h/o alt.....check!

Time to get to building boys!.......But first we gotta move. We get the keys in 12 days and will start moving immediately, expect to be in fully the following weekend so at this point the build won't get started until the weekend after that. Talk about being anxious! I'm gonna bust my ass getting everything situated in the new house so I can be sure my garage is ready for the build. We've got a 2 car garage and my gf said she doesn't need to park her car in the garage so I might be able to get a little shop setup in there, I guess we'll find out how serious she is about that when we get there. Can't wait!

^^That's pretty sick man, are those subs resting in that pic? Reason I ask is because those surrounds look like they're in the extended position, if that makes sense.

Well, as for my build, I failed today:( My goal was to have it done and playing, which it's not. I was able to get the amps wired up and installed to the rack though. So now all I need to do is ground the amps to the frame, connect the remote leads coming from the amps to the main remote lead, put my sub box in and connect the speaker wires and the trunk is done.

Under the hood I need to wire up the main power lead, including fuse block, alternator power lead, including fuse block, and install my SVR battery and it's ready to play.

Alright, enough of my crying (what would you be doing if you were on your 3rd day with no music?), here's the pics from what I got accomplished today.

IMGP2402.jpg

IMGP2403.jpg

IMGP2406.jpg

Building this amp rack is the first time I've ever done woodwork so obviously there are some design flaws, like the screw heads being visible. This is mainly due to the fact that when I began this project I had every intention on painting it, in which case I could have countersunk the screws, filled them with wood putty and went on about my business. But I decided to wrap it instead, hence the screw head issue. I plan on making that less noticeable by punching out some holes in the scrap ostrich I have left and gluing them on top of each screw head. It's not going to be perfect, but it'll be better than it sits as we speak.

Any comments, suggestions or opinions?

And here's a shot of my deck lit up in full on darkness

IMGP2413.jpg

That deck console is sick!

Cool! New diggs, new build work. :D

Sounds like you've got that fire!!!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

• 1 month later...

Yes sir.....so we're in the new place, has taken a while to get settled in and then my granddaughter was born 3 weeks early (not premature, but 3 weeks earlier than the projected due date). She was born last Thursday, just came home yesterday so looks like it's gonna be a little longer before I get this thing finished up. It's all good though, how can I be mad when my granddaughter is so damn cute?

mh8rp1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Factory alt went out on me Friday before last on the way to work....my SVR battery held it down though! Got me to work, after sitting all day got me back home, and got me to the shop the next morning to get my Singer alt installed. I didn't know this beforehand but but car uses two different styles of alternator, Bosch and Delco. I have the Bosch...my Singer uses the Delco style setup so one of the alt bolts didn't fit, wasn't long enough. Ended up buying an alt from Pep Boys to home to over until I could find the bolt I needed. So once they finished the install I drove home thinking everything was good, didn't drive my car again until Monday when it fired up fine on the way to and from work. I didn't drive it cause it felt like my tranny was slipping. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! So on my way home I stopped at O'Rielly's to pick up some Lucas Transmission Fix to see if that would help my tranny issue...went out to start it up to go home.......dead! Fuckin' alt wasn't charging.

So now not only am I have having charging issues, my damn tranny is slipping like crazy. So I bought a charger and got my battery charged up about 75% by the time I had to leave for work Tuesday morning. Got to and from work on the charge. My girl picked up the bolt I needed from Performance Chevrolet that day too. Charged the battery again overnight, this time it reached 100% by Wednesday morning, so I went straight to the shop to get my Singer installed. Charging issues fixed! Took it in today to the transmission shop and it's been confirmed, need a new tranny, 2nd and 3rd gear clutches are burnt. Was initially set on just taking this thing and trading it in on a 2010 Dodge Charger R/T (can't stand the look of the 2011+ Chargers) but decided against it for now. Trying to get my debt paid down, not built up more. So just gonna rebuild the tranny and ride this thing out for a while, hopefully I can come across a nice 2011 Challenger R/T that I can't pass up on.

This weekend the audio build kicks off....got some fab work to do to get my fronts installed so my goal is to get that done and install the electronic xover, tune my amps and run the power wire.

Archived