Second Skin Audio

(re)porting Questions

I used the recommended 3" port with my 10"R and got the same annoying port noise. Changed it out to 4" pvc and no more noise. You have to adjust the length when you change the diameter too. Your port placement should be fine. You can have some of the port external if you need to have it that way because of the change in length. You also found out that caulk sucks as adhesive. Use some 2 part epoxy next time and let it harden completely before using the box. Bracing on the inside around the port is a good idea.

lanman31337 gave you a good idea. Epoxy the new port to a ring and glue the ring to the box face. That way you dont need to be so neat cutting your box in the trunk.

Edited by fshanda

The caulk was just used as sealer after Gorilla Glue'ing the port in (which failed). Is there any way I can just add slot ports onto this box? I have about 3/8 of a 4x8 sheet left that I could use to make a new side or two if need be. At the very least I plan on rebuilding the sub baffle because stupid me mounted one sub higher than the other (whoops.)

By gluing a ring to the port, do you mean I should glue it to the outside of the box? Or should I make a ring-sized hole in the baffle and then mount it flush?

Could I just use a 90 and keep the whole port inside the box?

Too many projects, too little time...

Update: upon further inspection, I am just getting noise out of the left chamber. If I cover the port the noise isn't as loud, but I haven't been able to cover the port well enough to tell if that is the only problem. Could it just be a flubbed up port? Or could it be an issue with my woofer?

If your box is aimed back in the trunk and you hear air noise, I doubt its coming from the ports. Unless you are hearing it just when you have the trunk open.

I'm not questioning your box building ability, but I would check for leaks elsewhere on the box first. Then if the ports truly are the problem, just order some PSP 3" Aero's. Or pm me, I think I have a few extras I could cut you a deal on.

As of right now box is aimed back. Noise is slightly noticeable inside at low tones but really only blatant when trunk is open.

I will double check for leaks. This was my first box build so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a seam caulking or something like that.