Second Skin Audio

Port Size

ImLow78

Guys I'm building a new ported box for my Tahoe that will house two JL 15w0 (8ohm) and The each separate enclosure has about 3.75 cu/ft of air space. JL recommends a 5" ID port with a length of 15.1" long. To me that sounds alittle but large. The FS freq of the sub is 18.6 hz. but if I did my math right with that size of port the box will be tuned some where around 25hz. But I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

I've took all the recommended box measurement from JL's RECOMMENDED ENCLOSURES pdf file off their web site. I just cant see this thing needing that big of a port.

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction please feel free. Also I would rather do a rectangle port instead of try'n to find 5" pvc for the ports because I have the wood and that way I don't have to spend anymore money.

These subs was in a sealed enclosure but I thought I would see how they like a ported box. Some1 please help. I have all my wood cut for the box but need to know where to go with this port stuff.

Shannon

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

Each Box outside demisions is 20" (W) x 18.25" (H) x 24" (D). Interior Volume is 4.03483 Cu. Ft. The port they call for is round 5" (id) x 15.1" (length) Tuned to 26.4hz.

does that sound right?

Shannon

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

Do you have to have a round port? and you want to be tuned that low??? if you want low i would tune it to about 34 hz

use those demension but the port would be 16.75" tall and 3" wide and the depth would be 21.25" long

I don't have to use the round. I don't know what Hz would be best. I was going off JL's build sheet but It just didn't look right. If I build the port to your dimensions would I have to add room to the volume of the box? If so thats fine Because I can move the out side walls of each enclosure and make them (each individual enclosure) Wider if I need more volume. I'm using a divider wall to make two enclosures look like one.

Shannon

Freeland,

I took your advice on the port and got everything cut up tonight so tomorrow I can put it all together and figure out what to do with a amp rack. I thought about making one on the back of the box but I'm kind concerned about the vibrations messing up my amps and audiocontrol DQXS. Also Where is the best place to get carpet? I'm out of works and need to find some Light Gray that matches the factory carpet in the 04 Tahoe thats Cheap. All I need is enough to cover part of the bottom of the box, front, top, and back/Amp Rack. The sides won't be covered because I made the front,Top and back of the box wide enough to fit snug in the back against the factory trim panels.

Thanks again for your help man!

Shannon

Archived