One more review:

Here are my thoughts, I couldnt stay long enough for the full-range testing though so here are my tweeter evaluations:

Scan-speak Illuminator 3/4"

I thought is tweeter to be very smooth sounding tweeter with the slightest roll-off at the top end with I personally prefer. They have a warm, relaxing sound to these which sounded the most natural to me especially with the piano. I thought they had a full, robust sound to them.

Hybrid Audio L1V2

These tweeters sounded hollow to me and the most unnatural. I thought they sounded tinny and not able to play low, i would recommend keeping the xover on these above 4K. The top-end was actually there but sounded bright

Morel MDT-12

no time to test

Hybrid Audio L1 Pros

I really liked this tweeter and its top end really shines especially with bells and triangle. I thought this tweeter had a very clean but with an in-you-face kind of sound. I think this tweeter is a love/hate type thing. It personally not my preference but I can see why many like it. It was actually able to play low very well, i think to 1.8K.

Tweeter "X"

I didnt think this tweeter was anything special, it didnt really do bad in any areas but it didnt do well either. I thought is sounded fuzzy and muffled, it also had a dark sound to them but not in a good way.

Critical Mass T1-A

didnt test due to malfunctioning

ADI "XBL" Ceramic

I thought that this tweeter was actually pleasant to listen to, but maybe a bit too forward for my tastes. It had a very good low-end treble but as you bring the xover point to 1.5k it starts to sound thin. Bells and triangle sound natural as well, but that piano sounded a bit unnatural. It sounds similar to the Tang Band Ceramics that Mir has in he Accord.

Hiquphon OWII-FS

I absolutely love this tweeter but its comparison is not a true apples to apples one since it is a large format. This was the most realistic sound tweeter in the bunch for me and the best top end with some airiness. Its attack and decay seemed so realistic.

Sound Quality Ranking

1) Hiquphon OWII-FS

2) Scan-speak Illuminator 3/4"

3) Hybrid Audio L1 Pros

4) ADI "XBL" Ceramic

5) Hybrid Audio L1V2

6) Tweeter "X"

Team Stereo Clarity

• 3 months later...
Man I run MDT-12's in my van. I really like them for the price. Too bad you did not test them. Mine are crossed over at 2300 Hz.

Brian

Brian, I got to play with these last weekend finally. I must say, no offense, but these tweeters were absolutely horrible! I seriously hope that we got a defective set. I was really disappointed, It had no top end at all and the sensitivity was rather low too. It had a "dark", "thick" sound to them, it didnt have any "air", or "presence". Rides, cymbols, and toms did not sound natural at all. It was matched with a Seas Prestige paper mid from madisound. I had it crossed at 2.5khz then tried 3.5khz.

Team Stereo Clarity

Archived