2004 ford explorer aftermarket exhaust

instead of making a new topic and wasting space, ill keep this one going. i got another question. lately my explorer has not been getting the best mpg. i only drive it maybe 3 times a week thats usally during the summer and on the weekends. it gets stored all of the winter at my shop and gets started and ran once or twice a week for bout a hour. i would drive it daily but i work on a gravel so i bought a beater to drive during the week, well after last winter was done and i broke it out it seems like it dont get as good but maybe i just need to take it out on a good ride and burn the cobs outa it and drop the hammer down. what do you guys think??

As for your fuel economy... do you use a fuel stabilizer when you store it over the winter? When fuel goes bad, it's like someone pissed in your tank.

2005 Ford Explorer

Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS

Alpine MRP-F550

Kicker KX600.1

Alpine Type-X 6.5's

And a Big Thanks to Clay of A Team Audio for the DC Level 3-12" Sub!

As for your fuel economy... do you use a fuel stabilizer when you store it over the winter? When fuel goes bad, it's like someone pissed in your tank.

no i did not but i always started it and ran it for a while like a hour or so a couple times a week. but yeah i should really do that this year. but what can i do to get my mpg back up to what it was when i first bought it like almost a year ago lol?

anyone got any info on how to get it back to were it used to be?? i was looking at it tonight and i was getting 9 mpg and i should be getting atleast 15 or so in town the gauge that tells me is kinda slow so idk what to do.

I'm just not sure what caused your fuel economy to drop. Did you add a bunch of weight with subs and enclosures? I'm not sure what you're running so...

But the tried and trued method to improving horse power and fuel economy is to allow that engine to inhale and exhale as easy as possible. So if you install a good high-flow exhaust from the headers back, you should see improvements in fuel economy. Installing an airfilter or cold air intake that allows less restriction will also help improve your milage.

Check, or have someone else check your sparkplugs and test the wires to make sure none are faulty. Mabey even swap for some premium plugs. I've been hearing that those e3 plugs make a difference. Also, make sure the battery and alt are good. If you're ignition is starving for power, you'll get poor performace results.

And always make sure your tires are properly inflated. A tire that's a few lbs short of air is a gas robbing bastard. I always have my tires pumped to maximum recommended pressure. Everyone should.

And last but definitely not least, drive lightly. First off the line will get you first to the pump. Nice X btw!

2005 Ford Explorer

Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS

Alpine MRP-F550

Kicker KX600.1

Alpine Type-X 6.5's

And a Big Thanks to Clay of A Team Audio for the DC Level 3-12" Sub!

if the 04 is the same as the 02 explorer and mount then you will have to get it custom made to get over the spare tire....

and change your air filter in it.... my mount has horrible gas milage with the dirty air filter..

Edited by wildbeast15

Tim-Sig.png

62491252.png

The set up your talking about would sound great in my Tahoe. Trade you my dog for it. He has one eye but that only makes for bad depth perception so hey so what if he is running into shit, look at it this way he is easy to sneak up ninja style on. (right side only)
</div>

I'm just not sure what caused your fuel economy to drop. Did you add a bunch of weight with subs and enclosures? I'm not sure what you're running so...

But the tried and trued method to improving horse power and fuel economy is to allow that engine to inhale and exhale as easy as possible. So if you install a good high-flow exhaust from the headers back, you should see improvements in fuel economy. Installing an airfilter or cold air intake that allows less restriction will also help improve your milage.

Check, or have someone else check your sparkplugs and test the wires to make sure none are faulty. Mabey even swap for some premium plugs. I've been hearing that those e3 plugs make a difference. Also, make sure the battery and alt are good. If you're ignition is starving for power, you'll get poor performace results.

And always make sure your tires are properly inflated. A tire that's a few lbs short of air is a gas robbing bastard. I always have my tires pumped to maximum recommended pressure. Everyone should.

And last but definitely not least, drive lightly. First off the line will get you first to the pump. Nice X btw!

thanks it is very nice. for weight wise i got 3 fi bl 18s in the back a rockford fosgate t4k and 2 powermaster d3100s under nieth were the spare goes, a d2700 up front and a H/O mechman 250 amp alt, so for weight wise i did kinda add alot but i still did not think it would make that big of a difference but maybe it did. and i think voltage wise i am good so i am not starving anything. ill just start trying different things out but thanks for the info man.

Edited by buddlydudly8989

if the 04 is the same as the 02 explorer and mount then you will have to get it custom made to get over the spare tire....

and change your air filter in it.... my mount has horrible gas milage with the dirty air filter..

yeah i noticed the exhaust was kinda weird underneith there but i took out the spare to put two d3100s under it so i got a little bit of room to play but not much.

even with the spare out its gunna be really close to the floor of the back... might burn something... but i heard it was possible and my exhaust dude wants 500 to do a complete flowmaster exhaust...

Tim-Sig.png

62491252.png

The set up your talking about would sound great in my Tahoe. Trade you my dog for it. He has one eye but that only makes for bad depth perception so hey so what if he is running into shit, look at it this way he is easy to sneak up ninja style on. (right side only)
</div>