Sonic Electronix

Rear speakers work in radio but not CD or USB

K so I bought my truck with a dumb Sony xplod HU in it. Works fine on radio mode but when you use CD, Ipod, or AUX mode the rear speakers don't work. Faded forward and backward and when its faded back I get complete silence. No effect on subs though.

I have no factory amp in my 1990 4runner. All 4 speakers are running directly off of the head unit.

I just dealt with it for while and eventually bought a "new" Alpine IDA-x305 from Sonic Electronics. It had the exact SAME problem. It has no CD drive so I couldn't check that but in radio mode the rear speakers work and in Ipod mode they don't. I pinned it out to the speakers and both the Alpine harness and the Sony harness pinned out fine. I figured it was just the head unit again. So I got an RMA from Sonic and sent the Alpine back (it also had a problem where the screen fogs over when it gets warm).

A week later I get an email saying they tested the head unit on both the regular outputs and the RCAs and the speakers worked fine on both. And charged me a $50 dollar "convenience fee" (not very convenient btw). I told them to suck it and that I didn't want it back because it still fogs over and I didn't believe that it was acutally fixed. I also didn't like the head unit very much but I didn't tell them that. So now I have a $220 store credit for a $300 head unit. But that's not my main concern right now.

Anybody have any experience with this problem before? I don't even know what to do at this point.

-toy

Edited by toylocost

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

look inside your radio hole with the bezel off and if you see a silver box with heat sink flares and three gold philips screws holding it in you have a factory amp. I know you said you don't but just look for me. After that take out the amp and buy a bha 1761 from amp of america or a 99-1761 from metra and wire her up and plug it into the plugs coming out of the amp...presto problem fixed

The Shoe Maker without shoes!