Sonic Electronix

Hey all, this will be my first post to this forum, don't know why I didn't join sooner but here's my questions: I recently added a small system to my Mazda Protege (2 12's, 600w, blah). I'm on a budget so I'm upgrading as I can. I want to get the most out of my crappy amp that I can and am looking into upgrading the "Big 3". Every other resource I have looked at as to how to do this properly has given me different instructions so I wanted to take my questions to the hundreds of bass geniuses that frequent this site. My alternator is hidden under my intake manifold and, though I have not looked too closely, I cannot find the +/- wires that come out of it. Basically, I just need the basic instructions on how to get it done. My other question is how can I tune my amp/subs to hit the lower notes? I do fine on high notes but when it comes to low notes, I can hear them and everything but they sure as hell do not sound as evident as they should. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help guys.

we need to know a little more about your system to be able to tell you what you might do to help it. what kind of amp and subs? is the box sealed or ported?

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

if you want to hit lower nots, you have to build a box according to your wants. you can't just "tune" the sub or amp for lower notes. you need the box required to do so.

I've got a 600 watt amp w/ 2 12's that came as a group that a friend of mine gave me. Here's the link with specs. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3522_V...ed+System.html#

This is definitely not even mediocre but it still hits. I've replaced the box with a cheap prefab ported enclosure that seems to do a better job. My HU is a Kenwood KDC-MP242. Running 4awg power and grnd wire in preparation for a larger amp. Those should be the only important things at the moment. Hope it helps!

The prefab box is why you're not hitting the lows that loud. Prefab boxes are always tuned higher. Prefab boxes I use to have for my 10s were tuned at like 55hz. You would have to build yourself a different box to hit the lows better. For doing the big 3, Use This Link

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

The prefab box is why you're not hitting the lows that loud. Prefab boxes are always tuned higher. Prefab boxes I use to have for my 10s were tuned at like 55hz. You would have to build yourself a different box to hit the lows better. For doing the big 3, Use This Link

Any tips for building a custom enclosure? I know there's many different ways of doing what with the formulas etc. but is there any generic blueprint? Thanks for the link!

For using a program to help you build a box, use Torres' (ExpoSport)

If you are more of a visual kind of guy, you can use RE's Enclosure Calculator to see it, then just take some of the measurements you use on that calculator, over to Expo's. RE's works just as good, but you have to calculator a few things yourself, Expo's will do it for you.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

For using a program to help you build a box, use Torres' (ExpoSport)

If you are more of a visual kind of guy, you can use RE's Enclosure Calculator to see it, then just take some of the measurements you use on that calculator, over to Expo's. RE's works just as good, but you have to calculator a few things yourself, Expo's will do it for you.

Awesome, thanks bro this is really helping me out. One last question before I start buying wire. My OEM alternator is a panzy 70 amperes (12v). What gauge wire would you recommend to use for this setup? My lights currently do not dim even with the OEM alt. and OEM big 3. I was planning on using a 300 amp. fuse also but what with the small amperage that might not be necessary to use something that large. Hopefully this is the last of my questions, just want to get it right!

Awesome, thanks bro this is really helping me out. One last question before I start buying wire. My OEM alternator is a panzy 70 amperes (12v). What gauge wire would you recommend to use for this setup? My lights currently do not dim even with the OEM alt. and OEM big 3. I was planning on using a 300 amp. fuse also but what with the small amperage that might not be necessary to use something that large. Hopefully this is the last of my questions, just want to get it right!

0/1 or bigger. As for fuse, I'd say 200 or 250.