Sad to say it, but everything I'm reading in this thread is true. I was expecting to read another this vs that branch, but good on you guys for giving information.

One thing I want you to do, is pay attention to everybody on here giving you info from all branches. Don't make any rash decisions and look up everything the recruiter tells you. They WILL blow smoke up your ass. Even if they don't, they love to euphemize things to make it sound like a dream come true.

Visit one of each recruiter and see what they have to say. And also pay attention to their uniforms :lol:

If you are insistent on medical, I say go Navy. I am a Marine myself, but if you want the best of all the medical in the branches, Navy Corpsmen are the shit.

Again I couldnt agree more. While downrange the Navy Corpsmen were my favorite docs. They are VERY well trained, very well mannered, have some SMOKIN hott women, and are the best in their field. Honestly I would rather see a 3 year Navy Corpsmen patch me up than a 8 year Army medic.

J

SMDMafiaGodsmack2.jpg

"No poor dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard for his country."

George Patton

Okay I am going to lay out in order a time line then address your $$$ question

1) Choose Branch (for this instance Army)

2) See recrtuiter again (at this point you should have talked to all branches (Jar Heads, Fly Boys, Squids, Puddle Pirates, and Army [sub note do any of the other branches have ball busting names for us???] And I say all the names with love)

3) Go to MEPS Military Entrance Processing Station

4) Look at jobs and find one you want and a contract you can live with.

5) Sign said contract

6) Waiting time. Use this time to do physical training. I recommend lots of studying ranks, people in charge in the US, and of course SHIT TONS of push ups, sit ups and running. Some branches have other things, like Marines have Pullups, the Air Force have crunches, and the Navy........well I donno.

7) GO TO BASIC At this point the pay, insurence, health care, and people bitching at you kicks in. Bonus (if any) will be discussed later.

8) GO TO SCHOOL for your job. You will do physical training, school, and studying.

9) If active duty you report to your school. All info following is for Active Duty. If you choose Reserves or National Guard you will go home till your first drill.

10) You can now upon inprocessing go to the college office and learn about the colleges offered on base and locally. On line will be strongly reccomended, and I also encourage this.

As for deployments, they come here and there and are branch of service, job, and duty station specific. For example if you go to Korea you have little to no chance of deployment. You will prolly do alot of field work there, but its not too shitty.

As for money here is a link to the 2010 Military pay charts. You will be looking at the E- section for enlisted. If you have enough college you might be able to come in as an E-4.

Military Base Pay

You will be looking at the first colum as you wont have 2 years.

As for the 2k a month um bro lemme explain something here, since your not married you will get a meal card and thats 3 meals a day at the Dining FACility free. If you somehow get off base housing (which as was already pointed out CAN happen but again is branch and location specific) you will get EXTRA money for housing, and for food. No meal card so if you go to the DFAC you would have to pay. Keep in mind having a civilian girlfriend does not give you any added ability to live off base.

Hope we are being helpful bro!!!!

J

you was very helpful man. the thing with me not being married, well ill be getting married in may 28 2011. so would it be best that i waite to get into the air force when im married or just go ahead and get into it? thanks

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

you was very helpful man. the thing with me not being married, well ill be getting married in may 28 2011. so would it be best that i waite to get into the air force when im married or just go ahead and get into it? thanks

Live together as long as possible before getting married. You need to know she can hack LIVING with you for more than a weekend or two.

Its better money wise to be married before you join, but I saw about 7 guys get divorced as they were leaving basic. Some chicks cannot handle the seperation.

Just remember, do right by you then everyone else.Sounds selfish, but people only look after number 1.

J

SMDMafiaGodsmack2.jpg

"No poor dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard for his country."

George Patton