Sonic Electronix

Kick pods: How good are they?

I'm thinking about getting some kick pods from q-logic for my car. Right now I have 6.5" in the doors and tweets on the dash in factory location. I have it all time aligned and the doors half-ass deadened and it all sounds pretty good, but I know it can be better. The one thing I don't like is that my doors are pretty shallow, so most 6.5" don't fit in them (must be less then 2.5" deep). With kick pods, I believe I could fit deeper woofers, which means that I can easily get nicer woofers to replace the shallow CDT's I have now. Now my questions are these...

How much better SQ wise are kick pods over the setup I have now?

Will the image be pretty low? I really like how high the soundstage is right now with my tweets on the dash. If these will really lower the soundstage, I don't want em.'

Will I get better midbass from these? I would plan on deadening the pods with some SS. Like I said, I halfass deadened my doors, which made a pretty big difference in midbass. I haven't sealed the big holes in the doors, which would be my next step to improve the doors.

Also, just as a side note, I plan on going active and maybe even going with a 3 way setup in the front. I was thinking about maybe fiberglassing a spot for like a 3" mid on the kick pods somehow. Or at the very least, use them as a template to make my own pods. But that would be a future endeavor. I don't really trust myself with fiberglassing, plus I don't have much time for it now. Maybe I will do that over the summer.

BTW, this is all in a 95 Jeep GC

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

No one?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

I love how mine sound. I have a set of 5.25's in my kicks and 6.5's in the doors with the tweeters in my a pillars. My imaging is dash level maybe a little higher, im sure the tweets in the pillars help. I can pull it down lower using the fader on the deck.

I added sound deadening to the kicks before installing them and used the polyfill behind the drivers that was supplied with the kicks.

if kick panels are done correct they will help you out with staging imigaining and time alignment
Yea, one positive is having both the tweet and mid right next to eachother for time alignment. Right now, I just have the time alignment measurements based on the tweeter position, but those are on the dash while the mids are in my doors. It's not perfect. The only negative I can see is having the stage seem too low and not at ear level. How much different is the stage, height wise, compared to the setup I have now?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Yea, one positive is having both the tweet and mid right next to eachother for time alignment. Right now, I just have the time alignment measurements based on the tweeter position, but those are on the dash while the mids are in my doors. It's not perfect. The only negative I can see is having the stage seem too low and not at ear level. How much different is the stage, height wise, compared to the setup I have now?

you would want to construct them with the tweets on the bottom of the pod and the mid on top if you do it like that with the right angle you will push the sound wave up towards you. if you put the the tweeter on top it will just push the sound wave down

you would want to construct them with the tweets on the bottom of the pod and the mid on top if you do it like that with the right angle you will push the sound wave up towards you. if you put the the tweeter on top it will just push the sound wave down

Really? Like the interaction between the tweet and the mid? My tweets can be swivel in the cup, so if that is what you meant, then that won't be a problem.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D