Polecat: Ordered it, thanks.

Purdy: I heard the exact opposite, I heard its much cheaper to build it yourself. I don't plan on getting done with this motor any time soon. The truck has been in my family since it came off the lot and I plan to keep it that way. So it'll see more than one motor swap. I'm still researching but I'll keep that in mind though, thanks,

UniqueSounds: I don't want to build a 454 for several reasons but the main reason is that I'm familiar with a 350, I have one already that I can grab parts from/reference to. Like I said above, I'm just looking for experience so I can build something insane later.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

jegs has insanely cheap parts for your car.... with that book u should be fine... remember u get what you pay for...

Tim-Sig.png

62491252.png

The set up your talking about would sound great in my Tahoe. Trade you my dog for it. He has one eye but that only makes for bad depth perception so hey so what if he is running into shit, look at it this way he is easy to sneak up ninja style on. (right side only)
</div>

You can buy a turn key motor for ~$3000. Jegs carries GM Performance parts motors. A small block 350, everything new, with the intake, carb and water pump for right around $2200. If you were looking to rebuild a 350, I would look into Summit Racing for heads. They have a set of cast iron 350 heads for like $600. Thats pretty cheap considering the price of rebuilding. Just food for thought.

The GM Performance Parts engine isn't turn key but its pretty damn close. I would read into it more before jumping on to building though. Make sure you understand everything before you go buying parts. Focus on the internals because its easier to replace the intake and carb then it is rods and pistons. If you plan on adding any boost. Like a supercharger or turbo, you better invest in forged internals.

All in all I would say go with a crate motor for a daily driver, and for a weekend warrior, then rebuild it and make it stout..

Edit: 350 crate motors are cheaper then rebuild. Any other motors like a 454 a rebuild is usually cheaper. Just imho.

Edited by Wastehog

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4