Sundown Audio

Mounting amps

Reallunacy

So when you open the trunk, the amp(s) will be there right in your face? If so...if your trunk vibrates/flexes a good amount, you could easily vibrate things inside of the amplifier loose.

If I understand correctly, and that is the place you are talking about, why are you planning on mounting them there? For a show car or something along those lines? Or just restricted on space?

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

So when you open the trunk, the amp(s) will be there right in your face? If so...if your trunk vibrates/flexes a good amount, you could easily vibrate things inside of the amplifier loose.

If I understand correctly, and that is the place you are talking about, why are you planning on mounting them there? For a show car or something along those lines? Or just restricted on space?

Personal tastes. My plan was to use damplifier pro on the whole trunk including the lid, then mount a board to the trunk lid and the Amp to that.

Personal tastes. My plan was to use damplifier pro on the whole trunk including the lid, then mount a board to the trunk lid and the Amp to that.

Before you mount the amp to the board of wood, add a few rubber spacers onto the feet of the amp. Will help reduces a bit more of the vibrations. You still run a risk of messing something in the amp, but it is along the same lines of mounting the amp onto your box. Some people do it and never run into problems, some people do it and run into problems, all a game of how well you do it, and luck.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Depending on the amp some of them do not disipate heat well that way. But otherwise it is definitely easy enough to do as long as you ensure your mounting it securely!

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

Depending on the amp some of them do not disipate heat well that way. But otherwise it is definitely easy enough to do as long as you ensure your mounting it securely!

The temp issue never crossed my mind, would a couple computer case fans handle that, or is it because the heat isn't properly rising to the heat sink? I appreciate the help and thanks for reminding me about the rubber spacers to dampen vibrations.

The temp issue never crossed my mind, would a couple computer case fans handle that, or is it because the heat isn't properly rising to the heat sink? I appreciate the help and thanks for reminding me about the rubber spacers to dampen vibrations.

It is my understanding from my older amps that it was due to the heat not properly rising to the heat sink and instead stays at the board. It could very well not be as big of an issue for newer amps, but I would check with your amps manufacturer. Some of them have gotten a lot better.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

i had a friend that did that it was good for a long while but eventually the screws backed out and it fell... remember even with sound deadner it still vibrates.. just not as much. the best way i think you can do it is if u are able to use nuts and bolt e.g. weld 4 bolts to the trunk lid and use the to secure the board. and for the heating issue i dont think that will be a problem if the subs are facing the trunk lid it should move enough air to keep it cool 8-) but what ever ur choice good luck :D