Question on porting for reg. cab truck

Hey everyone, Im new to the forum and figured I would ask and see if i could get any help....

Me and my buddy are putting a system in his 2008 silverado regular cab we took the middle seat out and stuffed a box he had in one of his cars in it (the box that the audio shop sells you and acts like its perfect for that sub and since it has a hole in it its with out a doubt louder than a sealed that they sell right next to it ) well I havent done this stuff much but i know the right port can make a world of difference...

His has a port thats lie maybe 3inches wide and its fairly long... But it seems like the sub should be louder to me... I have a box with a 6-8 inch port in a blazer another friend did up for me and it seems louder than that sub in the truck...

The speaker is a matrix ( perty beefy sub ) and a matrix 1000 watt amp....

We are planning on building a new box the box will be a lil bigger so the inside will have more area... what can i do to make this thing louder.....Should i increas the size of the port and keep the same length or what could be a simple fix.... It seems to not play deep notes like it should be able to....

Also... how should we place the port and sub on the box should we do both facing rear speacker facing forward and port out back or what would have the best outcome... thanks for yalls help.... any pointers would be appreciated

Hey everyone, Im new to the forum and figured I would ask and see if i could get any help....

Me and my buddy are putting a system in his 2008 silverado regular cab we took the middle seat out and stuffed a box he had in one of his cars in it (the box that the audio shop sells you and acts like its perfect for that sub and since it has a hole in it its with out a doubt louder than a sealed that they sell right next to it ) well I havent done this stuff much but i know the right port can make a world of difference...

His has a port thats lie maybe 3inches wide and its fairly long... But it seems like the sub should be louder to me... I have a box with a 6-8 inch port in a blazer another friend did up for me and it seems louder than that sub in the truck...

The speaker is a matrix ( perty beefy sub ) and a matrix 1000 watt amp....

We are planning on building a new box the box will be a lil bigger so the inside will have more area... what can i do to make this thing louder.....Should i increas the size of the port and keep the same length or what could be a simple fix.... It seems to not play deep notes like it should be able to....

Also... how should we place the port and sub on the box should we do both facing rear speacker facing forward and port out back or what would have the best outcome... thanks for yalls help.... any pointers would be appreciated

More details man, box dimensions and port dimensions.

But prefab boxes are ALWAYS tuned high.

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Build your own box, do it the right way, look around, IDK much about the port area, but I know you can't just put a tube in a box, or a slot in a box and call it ported and think it's gonna be louder...

Hell, maybe go sealed... 0.o

| S-10 | 4.5^3 ft | 33Hz | SAE-1000D @ 1 Ohm | 2 SA-12s |

SPL: 143.7 Sealed | 153.4 Port Wars

kx519 i love that vid u have on ur avatar or whatever its called... Im going to try to get some measurements... tommarow... we have about 14inches inbetween the seats and we can use the area from the dash to the back of the cab... the sub and port are facing up on this box we have in there... its around 2 feet long include port and about 16-18inches i think deep.... I'll get some for sure measurements.... but

What if i have about

3feet from front to back

14inches wide....

and about 16inchs deep...I can move this number ( meaning arm rest will be higher ) TO ACOMADATE THE PROPER PORT

Im guessing the sub and port need to face the back - SO IF YOU GUYS GOT ANY IDEAS... ON WHAT WOULD BE A SAFE BET TO BUILD...

aLSO...on the armrest peice the top of the box we are placing cupholder and storage thing out of his orginal console.. ( so the box volume will have a lil less considering we are going to box the insert of the cup holders and what not... ( i will get some concrete measurements that i have to work with ) but if you have ideals with what i just gave you let me know

also how far from back wall should our port be....

hopefully yall can help I am trying to suprise him with this box because he thinks this thing is awesome and im in the passenger seat thinking this big sub and amp and i got less watts and less sub and if i set my box in here it'll be louder

stereo012.jpgyour measurements are prolly only good for 10s or a single 12.if you go with 10s you want to find what freqency the truck likes to play and try to make the port as close to that as you can [as long as its not too high] try the re websight they have a box calculator that will help a little,and good luck Edited by mylows10

dc 12k

2 ascendant mayhem 12s

xs power 200 amp alt

2 odyessy pc 2150

dc audio 175 x 4

scosche wires

stinger inter connects

12 volt customs 175 amp alt

pioneer avhp 4100 dvd

arc audio eq

cdt 6.5 components

152.8 db drag

street c

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/

//www.dcsoundlab.com/images/header.jpg

Thanks for the Calculator... we are running a 12, What would be a good tune for this... would 30 be ok.... he listens to alot of rap/rock... but would like for the rap to play good..... If i tune it to 30 that means i can design the box on that calculator and build like it says or should i not go by that re calculator..... also... is there any reason for lie a snell shell design... or is that if we run out of port room..... thanks everyone for your input... its greatly appreciated....

right now the box i designed is

width 13

height 18

depth 36

thickness .75

port width 2.5

total port length 42.25

port area 41.25

port volume 1742.81

port displacement 1770.56

box volume ft3 2.43

box volume in3 4206.5

tune 30.97

none of this is set in stone Im not even sure what a good TUNE would be.... so im up for all suggestions...

stereo012.jpgyour measurements are prolly only good for 10s or a single 12.if you go with 10s you want to find what freqency the truck likes to play and try to make the port as close to that as you can [as long as its not too high] try the re websight they have a box calculator that will help a little,and good luck

regular cabs tend to peak high 'cause the cabin is short....my regular cab Ram has a resonant frequency of 62......even tuned to 34Hz I still peak at 57 sealed. Windows down is better - around 40Hz.... I'd tune lower, but with my box and a 6" port, I don't really have any more room

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - Deep Orange

Build log - Blowthrought with 4 18's http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/122600-4-18s-in-a-dodge-ram-team-sundown-russia/

Sundown Audio SAX125.2 - Sundown PA 10"

Shok-wiring & RCA's

XS Power D6500

Mechman 320A

Sundown Audio Russia

http://sundownaudio....dex.php?/index

http://www.drive2.ru...ram/ram/skillz/ - more about my truck

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gskillz81