I've heard of alternator voltage too high due to a bad voltage regulator, but what about at cold startup? My buddies titan started up at 16 volts but returned to 13.9 to 14.2 volts when warming up. Is this bad for batteries

I've heard of alternator voltage too high due to a bad voltage regulator, but what about at cold startup? My buddies titan started up at 16 volts but returned to 13.9 to 14.2 volts when warming up. Is this bad for batteries

quite normal it takes more power to turn over an engine then it does to keep that same engine running. follow?

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

my voltage during a cold start is anywhere from 16 and i have seen as high as 16.7v but it settles down to high 15s after a few mins. My batteries are fine. You should be good.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Almost sounds like his battery is dying so when the starter cranks it practically drains it so the alt is doing wayyy overkill to bring it back up and somehow manages to do that. With 13.9 - 14.2 volts warmed up he should only see 14.5- 14.7 cold start but no 16 for a few minutes wont hurt

Edited by 95_1500

Almost sounds like his battery is dying so when the starter cranks it practically drains it so the alt is doing wayyy overkill to bring it back up and somehow manages to do that. With 13.9 - 14.2 volts warmed up he should only see 14.5- 14.7 cold start but no 16 for a few minutes wont hurt

He was thinking that his battery was gonna explode after a few seconds

yeah i have a DC 260sp and start i see 14.3-14.7 and after it warms up it settles round 13.9 @ lowest and usualy 14 - 14.3

2001 Grand AM

Pioneer UB4000 HU

Tsunami / Monster Wire's

DC POWER INC 260SP ALT w/ XS Power VCM

BIG 3 All 1/0 Monster 400 + YT Under Hood

Stinger SPV70 x2 in Trunk

4x SA-10's On There Way soon i hope

SS XXX-4000D @ .7ohm 3K+

RF Power 4x6's & 6x9's Monsoon Powered

PG TL22 Line Driver

148.7db @ 35-45hz sweep w/ 12" BTL

He was thinking that his battery was gonna explode after a few seconds

I think it would take a good 10-15 minutes of solid 16 volts to cause damage like that. Ever since Friday when I installed my VCM my batteries have seen 15.7-15.8 cold start and 15.4-15.5 driving and idle warmed up. Just cause its in the back of my head his battery might be going out, what alt/batt does he have?

Edited by 95_1500

I think it would take a good 10-15 minutes of solid 16 volts to cause damage like that. Ever since Friday when I installed my VCM my batteries have seen 15.7-15.8 cold start and 15.4-15.5 driving and idle warmed up. Just cause its in the back of my head his battery might be going out, what alt/batt does he have?

He has a Duralast batt, and im not sure about alt, but its high output

1. I'd like to see you turn over a high compression engine like say a 9:1 on LESS then 16 volts. 2. how in hell is an Alt draining his battery (maybe his starter but not the alt)

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)