Sonic Electronix

I noticed this problem starting about a week ago. My sub will lose output by about half and play like that for a while, then start pounding again. It doesn't seem to matter if the volume is high or low. I checked all the wiring going into the amp and everything is tight. Took the sub out of the box and recrimped everything.

I'm running the stock HU, an MTX RFL600D and a 10" Clarion SW1051. Amp is only running at 4 ohms (rated 300 watts @ 4 ohms). Stock electrical also. Lights don't dim at all. I've got a spare sub laying around, but it's a 12" and I don't have a box for it and no means to whip up a temporary box.

What's the best way to start eliminating what the problem could be? Would it be a bad idea to run the 12" free air for a few days to see if it could be the amp? Other than that I have no idea where to start.

yeah not sure where to start on this one, but i'd check resistance of the coil, and make sure that's fine, whats the gain setting and bassboost settings read on your amp, also running free air would be bad for a couple of days..

more info needed take a picture of your amplifier settings

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

yeah not sure where to start on this one, but i'd check resistance of the coil, and make sure that's fine, whats the gain setting and bassboost settings read on your amp, also running free air would be bad for a couple of days..

more info needed take a picture of your amplifier settings

I'll check the resistance later today (finally get to use my new DMM :) ). Bass boost is all the way down and gain is pretty low (maybe around a quarter, definately below half). I'll try and get some pics too.

this happens to me and what people have told me is

1 im not really wired at 2 ohms

2 my electrical sucks

3 its because the amp is clipping

im thinking its just that i dont have good electrical and i have an old car which means old alternator.. and i only have a new battery thats all so i dont know i just go with it.

its seemed to have got better recently now that i think about it. dont know why though, i havent done anything special

my system

2 12" diamond d3 subs

Kenwood 500 watt class d mono amp

On 4/14/2010 at 5:40 PM, Boon said:

Waaaaaa my system has a minor issue that I can't figure out so I'm gonna quit audio.

Fucking weak man.

when the subs get quieter is the amp hot?

does the HU have any kind of attenuation button or setting that might be lowering the volume?

is the amp connected to the HU using a converter to go from speaker level to rcas? Could it be acting up?

Edited by that guy

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”

Winston Churchill

The amplifier may be clipping and cutting the signal. Or the amp isn't getting the pre amp voltage it needs. Or it just may be the amp is having internal problems.

2004 Mustang

3 18s

6 crossfire bmf 1700s strapped @ .5

161.2 db Daily driver

159.4 @ 45 hz

158.7 @ 35 hz

154.4 @ 25 hz

Team Hz Addiction

http://www.youtube.com/Drek75633

DSBP_blue.jpg

when the subs get quieter is the amp hot?

does the HU have any kind of attenuation button or setting that might be lowering the volume?

is the amp connected to the HU using a converter to go from speaker level to rcas? Could it be acting up?

Amp doesn't even get warm. No attenuation button on the HU. I've got an LOC that's brand new, so I hope that's not the problem.

The spare sub is just an old Adire Audio Shiva that's been in the closet for 5+ years. I was just trying to think of another way to test the amp out and that's the only thing I could come up with.

The amplifier may be clipping and cutting the signal. Or the amp isn't getting the pre amp voltage it needs. Or it just may be the amp is having internal problems.

Yeah, I'm really worried the amp is crapping out. I bought it used a while back.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the sub has never gotten warm or stinky.

Edited by Dan208